strange but true 13mm & 14mm

So I go out yesterday to do my first valve adjustment on my oval (original

36 hp). Been years since I did one, read the Bentley, and other literature just to make sure what I was doing. So, go outside, slide under the car and whip out the trusty 13mm box wrench and it was too small. So much for the literature, so I reach for my 14mm (glad I brought all the wrenches out with me). So, I do the right side, fiddling around and taking way too much time to get it done and slide to the other side. Do first valve on #3 and check the 2nd valve and find it too tight, so on goes the 14mm and it's too feaking BIG. On goes the 13mm wrench. Go to #4 and its back to the 14mm. Only one nut was 13mm. I have no explanation for this as the heads on the car are original (with the wood inserts). - DB
Reply to
DB

I would change the nuts so they are all the same.

Reply to
Ken

It is likely that the 14mm are originals and the 13 is a replacement. The DIN standard for an 8mm bolt changed somewhere over those years and I would guess that early heads got 14mm adjusters.

I'll bet that someone here could find you another 14mm jam nut to make your set complete again.

-

Jim Adney