Stud stripped on my 1600 cc oil billet cover plate

One of the studs that holds the billet oil cover plate (drain plate) is stripped. We removed the plate to clean the oil strainer. My son was torqueing the cap nut to 5 ft pounds. As he turned the torque wrench he said, "Dad, the nut just got easier to turn". I backed it off and there was no shavings, so I am guessing that it had already been stripped.

The plate was not leaking oil before we loosened it, nor has it since, but I am sure it is a matter of time.

My question: I looked on Aircooled.net and could not find replacement studs. Can they be replaced? If so, where can I find them? Or should I simply re-tap the stud and get a smaller nut?

One more question on the same lines. I could not find replacement gaskets and brass washers sold as a set on Aircooled.net. I did find a complete gasket set, but I felt it would be a bit wasteful to buy them all.

Thanks for you help. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Townsley

you need the 6x21mm....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

I got a small Craftsman metric tap set at Sears.

Here are some oversize studs at cip1.com

You might want to call them for the size needed for an oil sump plate stud replacement.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

Chris, thanks for information. Any suggestion on techniques of removing such a small stud? I was thinking of using two nuts in order to lock them together and back it out. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Townsley

this is a fine meathod, except the fact that your threads are stripped.......try some vise grips and a firm yet gentle touch...one of the six studs is longer than the others, and it is used on the inside of the sump to lock down the pickup tube...check(yes, means removing the sumplate again) ahead of time to make sure it is not this one that is stripped and needs replacing...if it is, you will need a longer stud and will probably have to sacrifice a wrench that will need to be heated and bent to access the nut...this would also mean you have to be careful not to lose the nut or washer..but hey the chance of it being *that* stud are only 1in 6...heh..

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Reply to
ilambert

Well thanks folks. This was a bit of a challenge, but I was able to replace the stripped threads. I actually got a lot of practice at it since I had to do the job twice. This first time I put the stud in too far and it was too short sticking through the billet.

The slow but sure methods worked with my trusty vice grips.

Sure enough it was *that* stud!!! I happened to have a curved set of needle nose pliers that did the trick, in holding the nut in place and eventually tightening. I have no idea how much torque I put on that thing, but it seemed tight enough.

Again, thanks for all your help. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Townsley