stripped stud

One wheel stud and its lugnut became stripped when rotating the tires of my 2000 Sienna. I tried putting the the lugnut on there backwards in the hopes of remaking the threads but stopped when it was getting too hard to turn.

The auto parts store says they don't have a tap & die set that big and suggested I get the wheel stud replaced. The problem is the lugnut came with the wheel that I had to purchase after a mishap earlier this year and I believe it must be used with that wheel. I can't just use a standard lugnut with that wheel.

Any tips on how to fix this or do you know of a tap & die set that works with Toyotas?

Reply to
badgolferman

"badgolferman"

*snip*

I'm so disappointed. I thought this thread would be much different.

Brat-a-lie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

You should have known it was a car related topic by the absence of the {OT} in the subject.

Speaking of double meanings, there is a list of lines in Star Wars movies that have se*ual a connotation but aren't meant that way. It is rather funny.

Reply to
badgolferman

Oh, I know - I was hoping you forgot to do that...

How do you know they aren't? That movie was made in the 70s, when movies still had the balls to cross boundaries. (i.e. "Blazing Saddles)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

How about calling a machine shop?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I might have to consider that if there are no other alternatives.

Reply to
badgolferman

They may be able to direct you to a tool source you're not aware of. Also, go to the Snap-On web site, locate a dealer, and make a call. Those guys often know some remarkable resources.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The proper way to fix this and probably the easiest is to knock the old stripped stud out and replace it. A little oil and a good torque wrench will go a long ways to preventing this from happening again. But what I have done with some stripped threads. Is get a grade 8 bolt or nut and cut slots in it so it acts as a tap or die. Be sure to find a replacement lug bolt with threads that will match the new threads.

Reply to
Fat Moe

You have a couple of options:

1) Take the lug nut to a hardware store and find a metric bolt the same diameter and pitch so you know what size tap to get, then go to Sears and get the tap.

2) Replace the stud and lug nut. There are basically 2 types of lug nuts. One type has a cone-shaped bottom where it meets the wheel, this type is common with steel wheels. The other type has a washer on the bottom of the lug nut where it meets with the wheel and are usually used with alloy wheels. Both types are pretty common.

Replacing the lug nut is not as hard as it looks. Remove the wheel, rotate the hub so that the stud that you are trying to remove lines up with a hole in the backing plate and tap the stud out through the hole. When you install the replacement stud, push it as far as you can, then install a nut and tighten the nut to draw the stud through the opening.

Reply to
Ray O

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D

Cathy wrote in another thread that BadGolferMan is prejudiced.

Well, I don't know for sure.

But I like Natalie and I like BadGolferMan, so I hope BadGolferMan is not prejudiced. I do not read everything he writes, especially the off-topic material, but he does not strike me as a hateful person. If he is prejudiced, I would hope he would consider that a failing and something to work on to improve himself.

BGM seems like a good guy to me, although our politics are completely different.

About the topic in this thread, about "a list of lines in Star Wars movies that have sexual connotations but aren't meant that way."

It is very easy to interpret something written by an author in a manner the author did not intend.

For example, I wrote something a couple weeks ago about seeing "black scuff marks where the wheel and hub mate." Now it would have been very easy to interpret a hidden racial meaning in that, although absolutely none was intended.

It's a case of reading too much into what an author writes. The scuff marks could have been purple or white, but they weren't. They happened to be black. And it is common to refer to the the area where the hub and wheel meet as where they mate. Just like where the "transmission and engine mate."

So no racial meaning should have been interpreted into what I wrote.

Here is my full quote from a couple weeks ago:

"Yes, I carefully examined the mating surfaces of both the hubs and the wheels. Very, very little rust on the hubs and close to none on the wheels. The white-looking hubs did show some black scuff marks where the inner wheels mated with them, but that's about it. The black-colored inner wheel mating surfaces were scuffed a bit, too, but the scuffs took on a bare metal appearance. Just about no brown rust where the wheels and hubs mate. It all looked pretty good to me." [End of my quote]

I think some of you know me a little better. If I have something to say, I will come out and say it, directly. I won't couch it between the lines.

I happened to read a good piece of advice somewhere that concerned online chatting. The advice was not to think someone is insinuating something because they very well might not be. It's just too easy to misinterpret something that is written online, and to take it the wrong way, especially when face-to-face visual clues aren't possible online.

Reply to
Built_Well

You would know better than Cathy since you are on my joke list.

Reply to
badgolferman

I didn't say any of the above because I'm on your joke list, BGM.

Unfortunately, I rarely have time to read them. The last joke I read was months ago, but I do appreciate your gesture of putting me on your list.

Reply to
Built_Well

I'm so disappointed. I thought this thread would be much different. Brat-a-lie

------------ Aw gawd ..this gets soo old...

Where's brian from family guy when you need him..?

Reply to
in2-dadark