sump oil stud

One of the nuts that hold my Sump Plate Cover is striped and the stud is not in good shape. I notice that the stud is shorted then the others and that=92s why it stripped the nut. This stud is on the middle of the right side of the case ( #1 #2 cylinder).

1- I would like to know which stud is attached to the oil pickup 2- Why the stud went in the case. 3- Best way to fix this with the engine on the car.

It's an AB engine

Jo=E3o

72 super
Reply to
joao_eliseu
1- I would like to know which stud is attached to the oil pickup 2- Why the stud went in the case. 3- Best way to fix this with the engine on the car.

It's an AB engine

João

72 super

_________

I like to loctite those suckers in so they don't thread in when you put the nuts on them... you can just stick your finger up inside and feel the stud, and probably twist it back down from inside the case if you can get two fingers up in there... tight, but can be done...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

If threads are stripped you can thread a regular bolt from inside out, use flange/thread sealant and thy should be fine. (Remember apricorn nuts with sealing washers on the outside to prevent leaks).

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

acorn... silly furiner....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Do you know the length of the screw that I have to use? Do I have to cut it? Can I use a standard length and use washers from inside? If I can use washers do you know the thickness? I didn=92t know that the threads hole on the case were from side to side. I know that I can measure from the studs I have, but I would like you have all the parts ready before removing the sump plate to fix this problem. Why VW didn=92t used screws instead of studs? With screws it would be impossible to strip the case threads. I think that we will never know the answer.

Thanks in advance Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

I see it when pointed out in writing, I even know the difference, mebbe the brain took a little nap?

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I just figured you were a victim of too much bachelor life! maybe a bit hung over from the night before, therefore I thought a little ball busting would do you well!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Do you know the length of the screw that I have to use? Do I have to cut it? Can I use a standard length and use washers from inside? If I can use washers do you know the thickness? I didn?t know that the threads hole on the case were from side to side. I know that I can measure from the studs I have, but I would like you have all the parts ready before removing the sump plate to fix this problem. Why VW didn?t used screws instead of studs? With screws it would be impossible to strip the case threads. I think that we will never know the answer.

Thanks in advance João

_________

actually VW used studs and nuts because it is much easier to replace a nut, which is usually what strips, than to retap the case for a stripped hole... magnesium is very soft and doesn't take well to folks crossthreading bolts into it...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Ball busting is fine, all smiles here. I should have added a Smiley, I forget things can seem different than intended when in print..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

no smiley necessary, it was obvious it was all in fun!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I was taking about a screw from inside (head inside the case) and a nut outside ;-)

Jo=E3o

72 super
Reply to
joao_eliseu

Man, I have to find a smart kid to help me with a couple VW things because my hands just don't fit. Like the oil sump studs, the tranny/engine bolt on the right behind the fan shroud, spark plugs.

What we need is an invention, or a hand shrinker!

Reply to
John J

That would be some trick.

Reply to
John J

I was taking about a screw from inside (head inside the case) and a nut outside ;-)

João

72 super

_________

I see.... on that, my only guess would be, that it would be rather tough to replace if the threads did get boogered up.... and that is truly a guess...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I'm with you there John... i've got fairl large hands, but short stumpy fingers... the worst thing I ever did "back in the day" was to install a stainless steel louvered firewall... that think looked nice, but was really hard on you when you had to remove that upper right nut behind the shroud... think cheese grater....D'OH...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani