Stupid tip for gastank rust <flakey>

I keep getting brown bits in my fuel filter. Getting a new tank, but have been reading archived posts about POR-15 etc. Until it's done, I'm not throwing my lug wrench, etc. in the trunk...I guess that every time I whack the fuel tank I might be knocking rust off inside...also keeping it almost full ($1.82 per gallon Atlanta)!!! a VENTED aftermarket cap is a MUST - I ripped out all that dash venting crap ('72 Super)and plugged and taped the lines....I still get fumes (when overfilled), so going to look at ways to seal the hole where the cable comes through from the latch door...

Reply to
pmbedard

A venter gas cap is a NO NO, as it alows fuel to splash out and all over your fender as you corner, whenever you have anywhere near full tank. Don't ask me hos I know. That's where your smell comes from .

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

...............The side mounted filler pipe on your super is going to let sloshing in the tank cause gas to go out the vented cap. I'd suggest that you use a non-vented cap and come up with a way to use the existing vent lines. Early model bugs like my '66 have a rubber line leading from the fill tube out the bottom of the spare tire well.

Reply to
Tim Rogers