T25 2litre engine

Hey all. ive got a 1980 t25 with a 2litre aircooled engine that has died. I have changed the starter motor for a new one which has made no differnece. Also i have fitted a new battery. Im stuck as to why she wont start. Whe i turn the ignition, the engine will turn over very slow, as if i have a flat battery or dyin starter motor. once out of every 50 attempts it may fire up and run, but there is zero power, even with foot flat on the floor, it will not even simply reverse up a set of ramps(just keeps stalling even if revs are full)/. If anyone can help with the problem i would be very pleased. I have asked many mechanics and various vw drivers, but none really know what the problem is. Also im now looking to buy a replacement 2litre aircooled but this i proving more difficult than i thought as my budget is around £200-£400max. Ive owned the van for over 2 years and driven around europe with the only mechanically problem been oil thrown into the air filter twice. I dont want to part with the van but have minimal budget if anyone can help with the problem or of an engine they know!!! In addition, just as curiosty, does anyone know how a v8 engine would fit, and where to get hold of conversion kits. would be ineresting to know. cheers in advance chris 07845471102

Reply to
chris_in_a_vw

Hi Chris

Any history leading up to the problem ?

Did you just go to start it one day and it wouldn't go ?

Did you drive it hard the last time it worked ?

Did you do anything to it ? - plugs leads points etc ?

Where abouts are you in the UK ?

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Did the T25 (US Vanagon, I think) have carb?

I would try to turn the engine by hand to see how tight it is. Repeat with the spark plugs removed. (Could try running the starter with plugs removed.) Possibly a compression test.

My line of thought was leading to possible hydraulic lock due to cylinder flooding.

Anyway, a few very simple tests should point the direction to take and hint at whether the engine is kinackered or not.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I think all over here are carb - Ive not seen or heard of any FI .

I was thinking he could have overheated and put the cylinder walls out of shape ? maybe melted a piston ?

I did on a ford once - got me home, but wouldnt turn over easily next morning when it cooled down.

Hand turning without the plugs would maybe show that too.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

hey all in refernece to rich, i think your thougts may be quite valid. the lsat work i did in the van was quite heavy, as i towed a caravan 60 miles and then the next day, she was dead. Ive removed the plugs already and the engine turns over nicely wihout them. also turned by hand which didnt seem to be a problem. im living in harrogate near leeds. if the pistons have melted or the cylinder walls are outof shape, would it be cost effective to repair this in your opioion?

Reply to
chris_in_a_vw

Hi Chris

The next step is , as speedy suggested, buy/borrow a compresion tester and test each cylinder. See which, if any, is out. You should get the same reading, ish, on all four. If one is alot lower then you are getting closer to finding the problem.

I assume you have checked the obvious - good tight and clean connections to battery, earth leads, and starter motor ?

If speedy's idea about the flooded barrel is right and you can spin the engine without the plugs in, try spinning it over then put the plugs in (even just finger tight) and try spinning it again. It should spin both times.

Did you smell petrol when you removed the plugs ?

Leeds is a bit far for me to come and have a look - I'm in coventry. (lady godiva to all you not in the UK ! )

As for where to go next - if you are looking for a replacement engine, 2L's are quite rare over here, you are much more likely to get a 1.7 or 1.8. but lets see if we can fix yours 1st :-)

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Have you looked at Timming ...if your timming was retarded it could cause the problems you were talking about.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys