the transaxle blues: all your gears are belong to us

I have a sandrail, 1776 turbo with a swingaxle. The swingaxle has been acting up a bit this year, being difficult to put into reverse (usually it takes a brisk throw of the shifter, plus holding it in place, and eventually it still pops out of reverse). It's also had a few instances of popping out of first, and once today it popped out of second. I've been kinda ignoring the problem.

Then all of a sudden today while curising down the beach there was a clunk and it lost all gears. The shifter 'feels' like it is shifting correctly, but I get a grinding/vibration noise that sounds like it's coming from the left side of the case and almost no power to the wheels. It's the same in all four gears. There is a little bit of power still being transmitted to the wheels, perhaps enough to move it on pavement or level sand. It had to be towed in.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, I'm wondering where the problem lies (i'll probably know when I dig into it). The 'popping out of gear' issues sound like the gear carrier and shifter, but the fact that it catastrophically lost all gears at once makes me think something went wrong with a common part, like the the differential.

Finally, is there any chance (before I tear the thing out, which is always a pain with a swingaxle) that it's a shifter issue? I'm under the assumption that a misaligned/misadjusted shifter usually only affects a gear or two, and wouldn't normally cause the loss of all gears. Is there anything I can tell by removing the nosecone without having to tear into the guts of the transaxle itself? My sole experience with transaxles has been in the differential area; I've never worked with the gear carrier or nosecone.

Thanks, Scott

----------------------------------------------------------- Posted using Android Newsgroup Downloader: ....

scott

Before you tear out the tranny, do this test:

Brakes on. Hubcaps off (if there are any). Engine idling in 1st gear. Clutch engaged.

Now, look at each rear axle castle nut. Is one of them spinning? If so, the splines on that drum have worn off.

It's a long shot but easily overlooked...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Unbelievable! I was just out there fidgiting with the wheels, noticed the drums were loose, pulled one and found exactly what you described! Both drums appear to be loose, but only one has the splines almost completely gone.

Any idea why it happened? Did I not tighten things down all the way, or do these things just happen?

Can I buy a better drum with splines all the way instead of just at the very end? I have a pair like that in my junk pile, but they appear to be less thick and narrower diameter than the ones mounted on the rail. Both are 4- bolt drums. The ones that I'm using now (with the splines only part way) are

2-piece units with the hub and drum being seperate.

This is very good news, I was really dreading having to mess with that transaxle again.

----------------------------------------------------------- Posted using Android Newsgroup Downloader: ....

scott

Well done!

Splines wear when the axle nut is not tight to spec: 250 to 275 Foot-Lbs.

Can't help with a source for new ones.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Squareback rear brakes?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I took them to two shops. The first identified them (correctly) as type-3 hubs, the two-part kind with the hub and drum seperate. They didn't have any in stock, and said they are rare, but think they can order them. As whey were on a sandrail, with a type-I motor and swingaxle, we weren't completely sure if they were unmodified, so we're going to have to get a set and compare to make sure the hubs weren't milled down to size or anything funny.

The second shop replied "them aint VW brakes 'cuz VW don't make no two-piece drums". I gave up on this shop. :)

Funny