Thoughts on converting from Carb to Fuel Injected

We're thinking about taking off the Holley 5200 carb and changing to fuel injected.... Any thoughts on one vs. the other? Car is a 74 Standard Bug. Right now, the choke needs some work and we planned on doing a rebuild on the carb but my husband thought maybe we could switch over. Do they make bolt on fuel injection systems? Any thoughts/pointers anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
ismlv

.................Changing to EFI is a lot harder than to carburetors. You'd need to install a separate return line for the gasoline to go from the fuel pressure regulator on the engine back to the gas tank. The tank would have to be modified to accept that return line. You'd need an FI fuel pump (high flow & pressure) rather than the carburetor style fuel pump (low flow & pressure). If I had to do this, I'd look for a running '75 or '76 or '77 bug and use it as a donor vehicle for its Bosch L-Jetronic FI system. You'd probably need the whole wiring harness, ECU box, FI manifold-plenum-airflow meter-intake control assembly, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, cold start valve, temp. sensors, auxiliary air regulator, etc. As for aftermarket EFI systems, You'd spend a lot more money for a system that's not much better than the L-Jetronic for normal use.

................If it was me, I'd consider getting one of these instead:

Tim Rogers

...hmmm...something worng there...hey John ya reading this??? There is a pic of an IDF with the description and pricing for the progressive.....

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian