Throwout Bearing??

I think I've got a throwout bearing going - at least when it is making racket it sounds like a dry throwout - but that's the rub: it isn't consistant. 88 Comanche, 94 YJ clutch/ax15, external slave. Somewhat worse when warm (like in after a 600 mile dash last week). Depress the clutch and it is either smooth and quiet as can be or I get a rumbling, rubbing noise. When it's making the racket it sounds like a dried up throwout bearing rotating on rough races - but it only does it about every 3rd-4th shift and is worse at idle than with the engine wound up a little. Am I overlooking something else like a displaced throwout arm or worn clutch fingers? That intermittent part has me wondering - never had a throwout do that before: it either was or it wasn't. I'm just trying to figure if I can baby it until it warms up or if I need to drop the tranny and fix it now.

Damn, I knew I should have replaced that bearing when I replaced the slave cylinder a couple of months back but nooo - it was quiet, why drop the tranny when you don't have to??? Some day I'll learn to go with my gut feeling on these things.

Reply to
Will Honea

My guess is classic throw-out bearing.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Will Honea

Well, if this is of any comfort, the throw out bearing in my BMW has been making noise for at least two years.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Phew. My brand new Luk bearing has been making bad noises for about a year now, and I have not got around to looking at it yet. Has not got worse, just not any better. Now I feel better, I figure that the worst that could be happening is I would be ruining a bad bearing.

Reply to
Rusted

For some reason my ISP cut off the first message so I don't know exactly what sound your dealing with, but recently I started hearing a sort of metallic squeal that sounded like it was coming from the clutch.

While I would have rather fixed it myself I just didn't have time and took it in. They told me it was the throwout bearing (which I had already figured out), but also that it was a good thing I'd brought it in when I did as the bearing had cracked, and if I'd kept driving it it would have messed up the input shaft on the transmission.

Unless you are really sure what is going on I'd fix it before it gets a lot worse and a lot more trouble and money to fix!

Jeff DeWitt

Rusted wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt