Tiger CDI - How Long Do They Last?

Hi! My Tiger CDI is about 6 years old now. But I have not driven my '73 Beetle all that much since then.

How long does a Tiger CDI last or when should it be replaced or removed? Thanks!

Reply to
Jim347a

Mr.Hoover might be able to answer this more precise, but my impression is that they last a long time.

Jørn.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Mine lasted a few months. There should be no reason to replace it unless / until it fails. It has a built in feature of reverting to "normal" ignition by reversing the plug, so you'll never be left stranded by its failure. I suspect that the failures are due to something caused by manufacturing defects such as cold solder joints. It seems that if you got a good one, you got a good one whereas if you got a bad one, you probably would have discovered it long ago.

-BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

If I reverse the plug to 'Points', won't I need to regap the plugs to .026" since they are gapped to 0.40" or, could I at least drive it home before regapping the plugs? Thanks!

Reply to
Jim347a

I don't know. The oldest one I have in daily use was installed in 1982 and has accumulated about 1600 hours of use.

As a general rule, CDI modules are reliable and durabile. ( have a Heathkit CDI on my test stand that I assembled in 1973.)

I've installed quite a few of the CDI units from Universal Corp. -- usta buy them five at a time. There were a couple that didn't work when first connected (ie, 'crib death') but the company replaced them without question. I've seen some that went bad in use, usually due to overheating (ie, inadequate air-flow) or from excessive g-loads. Internally, there are a couple of clips that keep the circuit board in place, which also serve as heat-sinks. (Catch a lot of air-time, the g-load can knock the clips out of position.) If you intend to travel off-pavement at high speed, you really need to shock-mount the unit.

On the whole, I've found the CDI modules that were sold by Universal Corp. to be sturdily built and their electrical components conservatively rated. When properly installed, protected from corrosion, and provided with adequate cooling, since the unit has no moving parts its Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF) is probably on the order of 5000 hours or thereabouts.

If your unit still 'sings' when you turn on the ignition, it will probably work just fine.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

It 'sings' like a beotch in heat. Thanks!

Reply to
Jim347a

Drive it home. If it won't run well enough to drive it home, the wider plug gap is a probable contributing cause, but if you have stock compression ratio, keep a good aircleaner you'll probly be fine. Hey - I've got an idea! Why don't you try it now while everything is working just to see what to expect!

-BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

I have an almost stock Type 1, 1600cc DP engine with lowered compression by the use of 0.020' shims and 0.40" Copper Head ring seals between the cylinder heads and the cylinders. I would like to try switching the plug to points to see if it will run with the plug gap at 0.040". Thanks Again!

Reply to
Jim347a