timing

hi everyone! on a 71 beetle, i know the timing is supposed to be at 5 degrees atdc, but i dont know what mark on my pulley is 5 degrees atdc my pulley has 2 marks on it, 1 at the inside(case side) and one at the outside(facing rear of car)that is about half an inch to the right of the inside. thanks for the help in advance matt

Reply to
187

The outside (facing you) should look like a "dimple". That is TDC.

The "notch" on the far side is 5 deg ATDC.

So, as the crank turns, TDC occurs first, followed 5 degrees later by the timing mark.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim