Tin removal before heads can come off?

I have a buggy that's very open in the back. Nothing underneath, and just the body over the top of the motor. The motor is a 40hp type 1. I pulled the valve covers off last night, and I'm looking to pull the heads to put in some helicoils where exhaust studs broke off. The tin on the sides comes down underneath the intake manifold, and it looks like that has to be removed before I can pull the heads out, or maybe I'm not seeing it right. Does any tin have to be removed to get the heads off (if the heads are already accessible in the back of a buggy)? To put the helicoils in, do I even need to remove the heads? I thought it would be a lot more accurate using a drill press than just a hand drill trying to keep it all lined up.

Reply to
Steve Gift

I believe so. The sheet metal that covers the cyl heads and cyls pretty much blocks getting to all 8 stud nuts, not to mention impeding getting the heads off.

But hey, figure you are lucky because being in a biggy, you won't have to pull the engine!

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe

So to remove the tin around the heads, it looks like the entire intake manifold and carb has to come off. Is this correct? Or, will the tin slide up around the intake tubes and allow you to get at the studs around the top of the head without having to remove the intake assembly?

Yeah, >

Reply to
Steve Gift

Yes, you have to remove the tin, the manifolds, and the carb to take the heads off.

You'll find that it's really quite easy to just remove the engine first and do all this work on a strong table somewhere. Beginners always start out trying to do this all in place, but that's actually the HARD way.

-

Jim Adney

I agree 100%

Don't be intimidated by the engine pull, it's not too hard on a bug, and you have it super easy because you have a open-rear buggy. Pull it and get a good look at everything without obstructions.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson