twin carbs

The manifold I have is a very thick aluminum and has an additional 1" of the material extending from the exhaust tube connection all the way to the top to distribute the heat. Click on below and see the first few pictures.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

This was commonly done prior to the introduction of DP heads.

Basic procedure was to start with two manifolds, to obtain the second carburetor flange.

The manifold was sectioned and only the ends were retained. The ends were positioned so the curve went toward the rear of the vehicle and the carb flange was attached -- usually by brazing -- so that the carbs were facing each other. Provision for a balance tube was made, which usually crossed under the dynamo. To stabilize the carb a stay was usually fitted between the carb flange and the rear-most mounting screw for the cylinder head tin-ware... which usually blocked the #2 & #4 spark plugs :-) The throttle linkage was usually attached to the blower housing crossing above the dynamo.

When installed in conjunction with a set of war-surplus Wisconsin cylinders & pistons (about 80mm vs 75), a pair of 28PIC's turned the original 1100 engine into a spritely performer.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

On 9 Jan 2006 07:23:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@isp.com scribbled this interesting note:

When a number of other important projects are finished, that sounds like a fun 'old school' performance modification I might like to try. After all, I happen to have one or two or three or four 36hp engines handy to work it all out on!:~)

Unfortunately (or perhaps it is fortunate after all) I have a long list of projects I'll never find the end of. I've almost finished one (a renovation on a house) and am about to start another (renovation on a house) and then I need to finish a third (renovation on a house) and if, at that point, nothing else comes up (like a new inspection program in our town) perhaps I can finish significant projects in our house and then take on this kind of automotive modification!:~)

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

Thanks Bob

I couldn't see any reason why not. And I have plenty of carbs lying around so I will give it a go. Probly in the summer now.

Rich.

Reply to
tricky

href="