Undercoating

What would you recommend. i know there is a spray, and i guess people do the roof tar stuff. I'd like to stick to a spray. What do you recommend, also what to do about brushing off surface rust underneath. Thanks ~Peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

Almost any spray rubberized undercoating is good to protect the pans.

However, you have to treat the surface first. Don't just "brush" the rust off. The corrosion will continue, encapsulated in the undercoating, eventually eating all the metal away.

Clean it to bare metal, and treat with POR15.

Or at a minimum use a product such as "Rust Mort" to neutralize any rust.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Reply to
kline49

Anybody try Rhino Liner yet????

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I like POR-15 a lot too. Just recently I started using zero-rust with their phospate pre-treat. Really liking that and about 1/3 the price of POR-15.

knt

Alan Nels>

Reply to
knt

Correction: Don't clean to bare metal! You don't want a shiny surface. Follow the directions.

Dan '73 SB

Reply to
Dan Smith

By "Clean to bare metal" I meant take off any flaking paint, under coating or rust. Down to the metal. Not necessarily to "near white" metal. (A MILSPEC term)

Reply to
Alan Nelson

I plan to use pick up truck bed liner for undercoating. The spray is easy to work with. POR 15 requires a lot of prep like rinsing it off the metal ready with water. I also plan to use a wire brush attachment on a drill to remove the rust and then wipe it all down with wax and grease remover.

Reply to
Josef

If you had a part sandblasted, what would be the correct way to follow it up? I have to do something about a trailer hitch soon.

Mike

"Alan Nelson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@enews2.newsguy.com... By "Clean to bare metal" I meant take off any flaking paint, under coating or rust. Down to the metal. Not necessarily to "near white" metal. (A MILSPEC term)

Reply to
Sigifrith