weird elect happenings

A guy dropped by with a 73 sb that wouldn't die when you turned off the key.we assumed bad ign switch so we unplugged the harness plug still won't die. Can't kill the car unless you pull coil wire or 12v supply to the coil. something is backfeeding the coil. The second strange thing was that the headlights wouldn't come on when he got ready to leave. all fuses are good. anybody have an idea what gives??? He says he has not monkeyed with any thing ,but the po was not to mech. inclined so who knows... thanks for any ideas where to start, scratched my head till it hurts!!! Bob JOhnston

Reply to
Bob Johnston

By chance, does this car have an Alternator?? If so, the D+ connection can feed back to the Ignition and supply a teeny bit of power. Most noticeable with electronic ignition. If that *is* what is happening, putting a diode in series with D+ will fix it.

The headlights go thru the Ignition switch. If the switch is unplugged, the lights won't come on.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I had this happen to me.. the turning the key of and car continues to run symptom, what happen was my alternator wire somehow melted to my igntion wire and was constantly giving the car 12v at coil..

Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

No the car has a gen. will jump the headlight wire to check. have a new ign sw coming.thanks Bob Johnston

Reply to
Bob Johnston