What happened?

I went out to warm-up the 1776 the other day and the starter just clicked and I went to turn the crank and it was frozen. would not turn in either direction. So, I put the car in gear and rocked the whole car back n forth. for some reason left it in gear and turned the key and now it moved the whole car forward and now the engine started. what the hell, jammed the engine. temporarily? will it happen again? I'm perplexed.

Reply to
doc marten

A (badly) worn starter bush will allow the pinion gear to wedge the flywheel, freezing it. Prolly nothing wrong with the engine.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the "speedy" response. I've heard you can pull the bush with a big tap. Ever done that? what size tap?

Reply to
doc marten

An M12 tap (w/some taper) should screw right in. Or maybe grind some flutes on a long bolt.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

In the 'Bug Me' video on clutch he uses a socket the same size as the bush to gently tap it out from the clutch side. He also gently tapped the new bush in from the clutch side. It is recommended to lube the inside of the bush with grease after installation.

More help can be found here:

Jim347a

That's what I do, but it requires removing the engine :)

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Up-Date; Yes, I replace the bush, took the engine out, well lowered it to the floor to get at the starter. Thanks again ., Mr. Speedy.

Reply to
doc marten