Whats Ohio like???

SSIA ...who lives in Ohio and whats it like? I've been offered a $35k a year job outside of cincinatti somewhere....dunno anything about Ohio, never been therte. My first instinct is to turn it down and stay in the south....still waiting to hear details ona a job in Georgia. I'm looking to move somewhere that will pay me more money...just waiting for all the bids to come in. ;-) Anyhow...before I dismiss it altogether...anyone liuve in Ohio? Whats the cost of living like? How much is rent on small house in rural location? I travel 45 minutes to work right now to live in country...and would be willing to do so again if the situation was right. =-) Whats the weather like? VW scene?

...Gareth (who figures this is as good a forumn as any to find out the low down)

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Sheesh! Cincinnati *is* the South!

Pick up the Sunday paper (maybe even on-line) to get a feel for living costs via classifieds.

PING: Bill Berckman.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

stay in the south.... don't goto ohio. I live in kentucky.... in lexington right now, which is a little over an hour away from cinci. Ohio is weird and way toooo flat past cinci. (I worked at cedar point briefly before I was overly saturated by Ohio's unpleasantries) It's a wasteland cursed by industry. I wanna move to savannah, So if I was you, I would hold out for the job in georgia.

lane

Reply to
Lane Jennison

Reply to
Ben Boyle

It's been fifteen years since I lived there, but back then it was pretty common to see cars so rusted from the salt that the big-ass rear bumpers had gaping holes rust-burned through. Trunks were rotted through. In Ohio what _can_ rust on a car _will_.

Reply to
jjs

There's an Isetta right by my place. It's been sitting for something like twenty years. The guy thinks he want's $5K for it. Crazy!

Reply to
jjs

That's definitely true in Northen Ohio where I live. When I first transferred to Cleveland from a warmer state, I could not understand why cars up here had *wooden* rear bumpers!

Cincinnati should have almost zero rust, bein' down south like it are.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

...hmmm...that pretty much tells me enough ;-) I think I'll wait to see what the Georgia job looks like....not that I have a real problem with my current job...but mo money=mo VW parts. =-)

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I lived in Gambier - 60 miles or so North of Columbus.

True! It's like a different state.

Reply to
jjs

Speedy Jim was right - Cinc is South. Very different from Northern Ohio. You might consider driving up there to look around yourself.

Reply to
jjs

......................Way too cold for you. They actually get some of that white stuff that made you flee from NY.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Aw come on guys. Cincinnati is a really fun city, warmer than up north here on the lake, and they even have hills. The city itself is cool, with a lot to do, and the cost of living is damn low too. Lots of interesting architecture if you dig that stuff. As far as the VW scene, Cincy is about the best place in Ohio for it. If all goes well I'll be down there for med school this fall. Don't listen to 'em Gareth, the Nati ain't a bad place to live. Drive up and check it out some weekend.

-Chip

-'56 ghia, '66 bug

Reply to
Owokie

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Yeah, and I seem to remember that they used to have turkeys falling from the sky, too.;) H

Reply to
Hairy

.........hah hah........That was a great episode. I wonder if WKRP is still on TV Land or something. Haven't seen it in years.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Gareth, if you are considering moving to the area, a small house in a rural area should be relatively inexpensive. A small house in a Yuppie area of Cincy would be expensive. Here is a link to our local paper which has online classifieds that might be of help.

That VW scene is somewhat active here. We have the Cincinnati Volkswagen Club, and have our annual show in September.

Come on and move here, so I will have someone else nearby to help me fix my 67 when it breaks. :o)

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

"As God is my witness I thought turkeys could fly!"

You made my day, Hairy. Thanks for that!

Reply to
jjs

My pleasure. That was a classic episode. H

Reply to
Hairy

Ohio is a great place to live. I have lived here all my life. Yes there is a VW show in Dayton at Larry's Off Road. There is a club and show in September in Columbus every year. Toledo has a club and a show. Other than VW activities there is Kings Island, Cedar Point and Geauga Lake. The Hocking Hills area is a great place to camp. You can be in the city or in the country in a matter of minutes no matter where you live. Southern Ohio doesn't get much snow. Watch out for Northeast Ohio if you are afraid of snow. As far as rust is concerned, if you own a 72 Dodge Dart it may get eaten alive. If you have something newer than 1998, I wouldn't worry about it. Think about Ohio. If you live in Cinncinnati, you also have three other states you can visit within a couple hours of driving.

Reply to
Brian Turner

...hmm

*looks out at 72 baja*

....nope nothing newer than '98

...and somehow I suspect even with the headstart on rust it has my baja will still outlast something newerr than 98...

...Gareth =-)

Reply to
Gary Tateosian