For Sale: 1971 Karmann Ghia

I was going to start painting on the '71 Ghia today. Went and bought a grinder to help out with the job. I started at the front right quarter panel and was working my way around the car clockwise. When I got to the right hand rocker panel I discovered just how bad it was. I'll post pictures later.

The short hand version of the story is this: 1971 Ghia. Originally green (well, at least most of it was originally green!:~) When I got the car it had drum front brakes. I got some '67 spindles and rotors and rebuilt the calipers and put on it so it does have front disc now. It had a cheesy chrome air filter so I went and got an original oil bath air filter for it. It ran like crap so I installed new pistons and cylinders and had the single port heads fly cut for the new P&C. I drove this car as a daily driver for a year or more, but that was some time ago. The engine developed a particular sound that we think may be the gear on the cam, rather the rivets, loosening up. I have replaced the flexible brake lines, installed new brakes all around (as well as wheel cylinders, I think), I pulled one of the axles in order to replace a transmission seal. It has good tires on it. The front clip is in good shape (I don't believe it to be the original front clip, but it really is pretty good) as are the front and rear deck lids. All the glass is good and the doors look good too. I have an extra door as well. The dash has not been cut up.

Who wants the car? I'd call it a parts car since it has a rotten driver's side rocker panel and heater channel. The rear left fender had been hit at some point and brazed up (not welded) so it is pretty rough as well. The left floor pan is kind of rough as well. As a parts car, complete with an engine and transmission and lots of correct (and almost correct) parts, I'd like $500.00 for the car. It is just outside Dallas, Texas, in Garland. If the car were in a place like Michigan it would be considered a restorable car. 'Round here, in the condition it's in, I consider it a parts car. A complete supply of spare parts for another 1971 Ghia.

Come and get it. If you aren't too far away I'll even deliver. (Too far would be anything over 100 miles, round trip. I'll deliver farther than that if you want to pay for the gas for the entire trip!:~) No I won't take a check, money order, cashier's check, or anything else that isn't actual US cash!:~) (I just today got one of those bogus emails regarding the '74 Thing we still have. You know the kind...will you take a cashiers cheque, etc...)

I'd like to sell this car. It has a good Texas title in my name. With a little work it could be restored, I just will not put that much effort into one of these cars. But if you have a mind to, feel free. I'd love for you to have the car.

John Willis

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 17:02:03 -0500, John Willis scribbled this interesting note: Just wanted to let anyone who might be interested in the '71 Ghia know that it now runs again. A little adjusting and cleaning and some fresh gasoline and it starts up very nicely. Price is still $500.00. Now at least that $500.00 gets you a car that you know runs. The brakes in this car are very strong. It would need a very good going over to clean everything up, the rocker panels still need attention as do the heater channels (at lest the driver's side, I don't know about the passenger side), and a paint job is sorely needed. But this would make an excellent project car for someone who wants a Ghia.

$500.00

Garland, Texas.

Will deliver if under 100 mile round trip. Will deliver father than that if you want to pay all the fuel and travel costs...

Remember to remove all the numbers from my email address before trying to respond.

John Willis

As a point of interest, I bought my wife a low-mileage all-original '71 for her birtday some years ago. With it's disk front brakes and 4-joint tranny I consider it to be the safest, best handling VW ever built. A couple of years ago she turned down an offer of six grand for the thing but lately she's been talking about either storing it or selling it, since she doesn't drive it that much, not being very handy has a grocery-getter or for hauling grandkids to the beach, etc.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

On 06 Jul 2004 22:10:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Veeduber) scribbled this interesting note:

No, they aren't all that handy for groceries or kid hauling. I stopped driving this one several years ago and it has been sitting since. It was rather rough around the edges when I got it, but at least I put some Ghia disc brakes back on the car, as well as an original oil bath air cleaner (that chrome POS had to go!:~) I drove the car for over a year. I learned quite a bit about Ghia's from this one. Enough to know that if I ever buy another one it will be in far better shape than this one was when I bought it!

I seem to remember reading somewhere, years ago, that the Ghia has some pretty good aerodynamics. I have forgotten just about everything about that article, except that one item.

John Willis