Argh! Any tricks for getting tailpipe out?

Hi all,

I'm trying.. ummm..in the process of removing the tailpipes from my bugs' muffler. They seem to be in there either rusted or a very snug fit - wahtever I cannot readily remove them. I want to be careful and not destroy my muffler in trying to get these pipes out. I've removed the clamps and gasket, and the joint is now soaking in liquid wrench - and been taping them hard with a screwdrive handle to cause vibration

- this could take days - if I'm lucky. I guess my only other (reasonable) option is to use a torch on the muffler portion - or just drive around without the clamps on and wait till the pipes fall off.

Any suggestions?

thanks Matt S.

Reply to
MATT S.

bugman1955

bugman1955 wrote: >

Or take a rubber hammer and hit the pipe ends so that they move a few millimeters in (to make them loose). Then try grabbing the pipe and simultaneously rotating and pulling the pipe out. Using vise grips will most definately ruin your tailpipes (ok, they are cheap). Use the grips if hammering and pulling will not do the trick.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Never have had any problem applying heat to grow the tolerance bigger..................once hot, they come right out.............Mine have come out driving down the road on occaision also.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

On 23 Sep 2004 17:43:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@MSN.COM (MATT S.) scribbled this interesting note:

Sounds like you already know how to remove them. Either option will work, you just have to decide if yours is a litter-Bug or not!:~)

John Willis