Which would you rather have, a "Porsche" 914 (VW in Europe), a Beetle, or a Ghia of the same year?

Back when I got my daily drive to restore I had a lead on a 914 that had been stripped down to restore but the project had stalled for over a year after disassembly and parts cleanup. Got right to the point of buying it and a relative of the person lobbied for him to keep the car and restore it for him... he probably never finished it given the lack of enthusiasm he had at that point. So instead my wife saw an advertisement for my current beetle. Another project stalled at the disassembly stage... though this time by a college kid. Had primered over dirt/etc to "prep" the car.

Anyway, if you had a choice what car would you guys go for, a 914, a Beetle, or a Ghia? Financially I suspect that Beetle, Ghia, 914 would be the order from cheapest to most expensive to restore/maintain, but if you are into the hobby of restoring classic aircooled cars maybe that isn't as huge a consideration? (well, and resale value would be the opposite: 914, Ghia, Beetle)

KWW '63 The Inside Out Cow '64 Blue Wave

KWW

I've had both of the other cars from the era, so the 914 would be my choice.

- Bill

[...]

Bill Leary

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 06:21:23 -0500, KWW scribbled this interesting note:

Reply to
John Willis

I have a 67 KG coupe, a 63 baja and a 68 type-3 squareback. I have daily-driven all of them over the years.

The KG was my DD in California up to 2000, and I finally took it off the road for a through R&R. It was starting to show all the miles.

The baja was the designated winter sloppy-weather car for seven years, and remains on standby if needed. It will climb trees with studded snow tires. Cheap fiberglass body-parts mean I don't mind throwing it around. No worries. Incredible in the snow and ice.

But the type-3 is just a better all-around car. It is more heavily built, quieter and has better heat. It has more room for luggage and can carry four people. It's also a great cross-country car and will sustain true freeway speeds all the way from Colorado to Oregon to Phoenix and back home.

PS: the KG is coming back soon as a "flashy lady". Less practical and more fun. No more nasty weather for her. ;-)

Max

Reply to
Max

Since the 914 is on the list, it sort of excludes the older body style Ghia, if we were to stay within the same year/decade. I would then pick the 914. If year was not a limiting factor, I'd go for the early Ghia.

64 or so.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson
1973 Sports Bug

I've wanted one of these since they first came out.

Robert

1965 VW Sunroof Sedan (owned 1977 - 1983)
Reply to
R D

Wow. Don't get me wrong, the seats, steering wheel, and exhaust look cool but it was all lipstick! Everything else was stock. (well, the wheels) Sure one could day "how do you improve perfection", and the '73 SB started the curved windshield, if I remember correctly, and you could put a modern efficient AC unit in one and it would probably not tax the engine too much (in TX that would be a dream) but most of it seems like a lot of hype. Now if that model had shoe-horned in a type 4 motor like Raybe puts together that could peak my interest!

KWW

I'd choose to put the 914 engine in a beetle.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

I would go for the 914 if it had a -6 attached to it like this one

but only if the -6 didn't need to be rebuilt ($$$$). If the Ghia had everything that this Ghia does:
I would be happy, but not if it cost me $260,000! Jan, did the Virginia snow last week remind you of your homeland? I know it was only about 6 inches deep but snow is snow.

Randall

Reply to
Randall

How about one of those Type 4 Raby engines?

KWW

Yup, got one already. one of his 2270C motors

Reply to
David Gravereaux

HA! Yes it did... I had to use chains to make it up to my house.... :) Pricing winter tires right now.. was tempted to go with some aggressive M/T tires, but those aren't really optimized for winter... when most of my driving is on plowed roads. Probably going with Hankook I-Pikes..

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan, I'm really liking the Bridgestone Blizzaks I have on my squareback.

Max

Reply to
Max