72 super former autostick

I have been tooling around for 5 years in my 72 SB pretty much driving it every sunny day and it looks like the solenoid went in the starter. I say that as I bridge the 2 contacts on the solenoid, it jumps to life. I thought back in the day I could just swap out the solenoid, but now my parts guy (RPM in Byram, NJ) tells me I have to replace the whole starter as it is sealed one piece for about $150(rebuilt).

He also told me that if in fact it is a starter from an autostick, he can give me $50 credit toward a rebuilt one as they are rare. The engine/tranny and all remnants of being an autostick are gone from the rebuild before I got it

Seems pretty simple to remove, are there any secrets I need to know before I take my baby off the road?

2 questions-maybe 3

How do I tell if the starter is from an autostick? How much $$ for a rebuilt starter Is there a difference in performance in an autostick starter v. Normal one?

Thanks very much in advance, I have always found people on this site very helpful.

Reply to
zam

If you have a manual you should be able to look at pictures, but basically the auto stick starter has a shorter shaft than a manual transmission starter.

Performance is the same.

If I recall pr> I have been tooling around for 5 years in my 72 SB pretty much driving

KWW

Solenoid is repairable. Remove from starter. From memory, there are two large screws holding plastic "end" on. Once they are gone there are two or three soldered connections on end cap that need to be desoldered. Use "solderwick' from an electronics shop or a solder sucker. That allows you to pull the thing to bits, clean the connections that supply current to starter. They are large as they handle the starter current. Clean it all up and reassemble. Did it a few times ( different cars) about

20 years ago. Never a problem. Just a thought, if your supplier said it has to be replaced as a whole unit how come he can supply a "rebuilt" sealed unit??????????. Cheers John

Reply to
John

i>t every sunny day and it looks like the solenoid went in the starter.

you can replace the solenoid, but the solenoid by itself are getting harder to find... that said, I don?t believe you are having a solenoid failure.. .if it works when you jump it at the starter, look for bad connections(or corrosion, broken wire, etc) in the starting circuit....

an autostick starter is slightly more powerful and uses no external bushing(in the bellhousing) to support the shaft...

here is an autostick starter:

here is the manual transaxle starter:

Joey Tribiani

well, this is an age old problem with VW's It's not necessarily the solenoid but high resistance in the wires that lowers the voltage to the solenoid. replacing it works for awhile. what you want to do is install an "Easy Start" kit. it does the same thing that you do when bridging the contacts. basically a second solenoid . Good luck,

Reply to
Mr. K