Why we do this...because our cars make peope happy.

Dad I found you at last...8o)

Reply to
Kafertoys

That's GOTTA be the best put-down here in months.

Reply to
jjs

My eldest son is now 33 years-old. How depressing is THAT? Eh?

Reply to
jjs

Hell yes. But temporaily sidelined. Fell off the scoot last monday and broke my damn left knee in three places. Gonna be 10 weeks at least before I can ride again. *grumblegrumble*

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti" 03 Silverado "shewolf"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

...and how old is the youngest daughter?? 8^)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Ouch...bummer dude. Feel better soon.

Reply to
Mike C.

I turn 37 next week. You're probably old enough to be my dad, JJ. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
ilambert

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Kaferdave) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m13.aol.com:

The summer of Woodstock, the moon landing and Chappaquiddick I and a buddy were headed in the opposite direction in a '67 Bus (12 volts!). The cross-country road trip rite-of- passage, California here we come! Tom & I spent quite a while in the Grand Tetons, and I think that particular weekend we were hiking over the spectacular glacial pass up behind Jenny Lake.

Reply to
cloud8

My 2 cents: Annie (the yellow baja) is by far THE most fun car/thing I've ever owned! With the huge tires (bouncing a little), stiff ride, go-anywhere I want capability, sterio blasting, sitting up high I cannot drive it without smiling. I've had kids walk around it tracing the paint designs with their fingers & talking to themselves. One *old* lady I parked next to once said (in her raspy old-lady voice) "I like your car.". Another guy told me once "You know; I hate Volkswagons..." (& I thought here it comes about how much time & money I've wasted) "...but I really like your bug". So yes, we do it for fun *and* for others. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

I agree; I was fortunate enought to buy a '73 SB nine years ago from a pro who had restored it completely. Since then it has been my daily driver through moves from California to Missouri and now to Illinois. Granted, I know only drive six miles/day round-trip to work, so I'm only putting about

1500-2000 miles/year on it.

You're right--the fun part is people who tell you stories about their bug (often, their first car) and thinking they'd still like to have that car.

I'm fortunate to have a great mechanic here in town who keeps the bug going--I'm a total mechanical know-nothing. He gives it its annual physical, plus makes the needed repairs quickly and at a reasonable price. I need to re-paint the bug next summer (starting to getting nicks here and there, plus that seemingly inevitable rust just behind and below the rear passenger windows).

So, I don't spend alot each year on the bug: its annual physical, usually one major repair (this year: rear brakes and CV joint), gas (1.5 fillups per month) and liability insurance. Heck of a lot better than car payments, for sure, and the smiles and comments from others are a bonus. I'm a middle school principal, and the kids at my school LOVE the bug!

~Birdlander

Reply to
Birdlander

Pathetic. What you got against a little exercise every day?

Reply to
jjs

Other than maybe..............

"Yeah, most of us wish you had too."

Ok, maybe not as good, but a solid "return" jab.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Nothing at all. My job requires me to have a car while at work, otherwise, I'd walk back and forth.

Reply to
Birdlander

Heh heh. You're funny, JJ. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Interesting. So they require you to have a car, but don't specify that it has to run or be reliable? If I had a job that required a car I'd tell 'em to provide the thing.

Reply to
jjs

Many companys are doing away with company cars today for liability. They pay a little car allowance and if the grunt gets into a wreck, they are not liable.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

LOL Bill I make my secretary use her car. After 13 accedents in her 10 yrs of driving, I'm not putting her behind the wheel of precious metal.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Well, I have a surprise for the employers - in most states if the employee is driving for the employer, the employer is still liable.

Reply to
jjs

Vicarious liability. The master is liable for the actions of the employee provided the employee is actually acting on behalf the employer and not on their own "frolic" :)

Goes back to english common law. :)

Reply to
Mike C.