Function of voltage regulator and alternator wires.

Hi All,

I'm trying to wire up my Subaru engine to my 1970 beetle and have some questions regarding the altenator and voltage regulator. The car is a 1970 standar beetle, and the alternator had a Green, a Brown and a Red/White wire. I assume the Red/White wire is the + that goes to the Battery (through the Voltage Regulator) The Green goes to the warning light on the dash (again through the VR) And the Brown ? Is that a ground ? If so, why is that ? Wouldn't the car itself be enough for the Ground ?

Thanks for your time.

Rob.

Robv

Whoa! Needs more info. Is this alternator one which was part of the 'baru engine? If so, it has an internal regulator and no wiring goes "thru" the regulator. Your '70 had a VR under the back seat. Rip it out.

Yeah, Brw was probably ground.

Look on my web site for Gen/Alt conversion. Not exactly what you have, but may help.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

hmmmmm yup 70 had a genny on it not an alternator IIRC....

green/blue on the VR under the seat was idiot light wire to front, brown was a field wire that went to the genny and red/white V+ went to the genny....

when i did a genny to alt conversion.... ripped out VR.... spliced red wire from front of car to the one coming from battery and to one going to Alt. then splice blue/green idiot light to brown field wire that went to internal reg on alt. and it worked fine.... something like that...

that was on a 68 and it was back in 1984 - so i think i got it right if my memory serves me correct...

Reply to
dragenwagen

Jim,

The wiring I described is from the Beetle. The alternator from the Sube has a terminal with a white wire, and a plug with a B/W and a whire wire. The B/W wire is for the warning light. So I should Junk the regulator ?

I guess that makes things easier, the white wire from the terminal would hook up to the ones which are now on the B+ off the VR, the B/W would go directly to the alt light and the last one would be ground..... makes sense ?

Thanks,

Rob.

Reply to
Robv