Wiring Harness

All, Well I finally re-started the work on my '73 Super after taking over a year off! My question is: should I replace the wiring harness while I have everything taken out of the car? It is everything except a body off restoration. My wife thinks I should just in case something is wrong somewhere. It was torn down when we bought it so I have no idea if there are any problems with it or not. Thanks in advance. H-S-F

Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin

I'd pull the old harness to inspect it for damage before you decide. A new harness will probably only cost you a couple hundred bucks but you may not need it.

Reply to
pepsifreek

Tread carefully!

A new "harness" will likely only get you the Main section from engine bay to dash.

'73 Super uses a very special harness for the dash wiring and the underhood wiring.

If you do decide to replace any part of the wiring, make meticulous sketches of all connections first.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

there is a stalker...um, i mean member of this group that is an expert at 73 super restoration(self-proclaimed), if he can stop humping my leg long enough he might find time to offer you some advice... me personally, i say if it isn't broke, don't break it.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

My main concern is I have no idea if the harness works at all or even in part. Everything was stripped out of the body when I got it. My biggest fear is that I have less than a working understanding of electrical systems. H-S-F

Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin

#9 Wiring

I got that video. Replacing the wiring harness on the Super Beetle is more complex than on the non Super Beetle but they walk you through it.

This also would be a good time to replace the long center brake line if it needs it.

---------------------------

Reply to
Jim347a

I found a main harness for a 1973 Super Beetle. It goes from the fuse box back to the tail lights. It does not say if it is for a Super B. with a generator or with an original factory alternator. If yours has an alternator now that may not necessarily mean that it originally came from the factory that way. It would be best to call them.

All,

Reply to
Jim347a

Reply to
george taylor

By 'everything was stripped out' do you also mean that all of the wires in front of the dash in the trunk have been ripped out or removed?

Reply to
Jim347a

You will learn!!!! 8^) It is not that hard to do. I have built a wiring harness in my ex-GF's living room. The harness was for a kit car I was rebuilding. Not that hard at all!

Nowadays you can just purchase a color-coded and correct wiring harness for most Beetles. Makes it much easier.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1