1985 240 Manual Transmission service

I have a 1985 240 DL w/ M46 Transmission (4 speed + od).

I am interested in draining out the fluid and cleaning any strainers that the tranny might have.

Some questions:

  1. Type F or G fluid is what my Volvo manuals call for, with synthetic fluids as popular as they are today is it ok/better to use a synth oil in this transmission? If so, what type should I use? Is there any benefit/drawback to using synth oil as opposed to a Type F or G?

  1. Are there any strainers in this transmission? If so, where are they located and what is the best procedure for cleaning these?

  2. Any additional tips that anyone might have when doing a transmission service on this particular tranny?

Thank you for your suggestions and patience as I am a young Volvo mechanic that still has lots to learn!!!

Reply to
seads

To drain the transmission, you have to drain both the "regular" transmission and the OD unit. They share the same oil, but you need to open the drain plug on the trans, and the pan/filter on the OD unit to get all oil out.

I remember I was told some years ago, to change from ATF oil to regular syntetic engine oil, like the Mobil1 or similar. But someone here might clear this out ?

Per Mathisen Norway

-88 780

"James Sweet" skrev i meld>> I have a 1985 240 DL w/ M46 Transmission (4 speed + od).

Reply to
Per Mathisen

I would use the fluid recommended in the owners manual, or if Volvo recommends changing to a synthetic then make the change.

Usually not needed. Are you having problems with the transmission?

Reply to
Roadie

I think Volvo dropped support for this gearbox long before the fancy synthetic fluids were commonplace. At any rate, the synthetic made my gearbox shift noticeably smoother.

Changing the oil is recommended on these, the overdrive unit is essentially a 2 speed automatic transmission stuck on the back of the manual gearbox so the same fluid change recommendations for automatics apply here.

Reply to
James Sweet