1985 245 DL driveability problems

I have a 1985 245 DL US spec, manual trans, that has an intermittent driveability problem...runs great 98% of the time, but occasionally loses power...runs smoothly, but the harder the accelerator is depressed, the more it bogs down. Turning the ignition switch off and back on instantaneously almost always resets this. But sometimes it runs much worse, with almost complete loss of power, terrible backfiring, and difficulty restarting. Temperature does not seem to be a factor in either of these symptoms. I believe both fuel pumps have been replaced, and possibly the spark control module. I was thinking abouit pulling out the ECM to check for bad solder connections but other than that I'm baffled. Is this a known issue? snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
user

I would try a new ignition switch next... The electrical part is held onto the back of the key tumbler part with a couple of screws.

Reply to
Mike F

exactly what mine does occasionally ('89 240 wagon)... the harder you press the gas, the less power it seems to develop. I just pull off the road, shut it down, pop the hood, pull the connector off the air mass meter, reconnect it several times to "polish" the connectors, and all is well for a few more months. I tried PROGOLD contact conditioner, didn't seem to last any longer than just mechanically working the connector on and off, so that's what I do.....

Marvin, in Atlanta m9876c at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Jon Dough