99 Tacoma 4 cyl w/ driveability problems

A friend has been bugging me about where to get her 99 Tacoma 4 cyl 2wd fixed. I fix my own cars so I don't know. Anyway, I told her I'd drive it and see if I could give her some guidance. She complains that it backfires on starting and makes grinding noises going up the hill (this is why I have to drive it -- I dont know what the grinding noises mean).

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is:

Are there any special service programs (secret or not so secret warranties like they had for the 6cyl head gasket) on the 99 Tac 4 cyl that might relate to backfire, driveability problems, (and grinding noises!)? Cause if so, she has to go to the dealer.

Did Toyota get in trouble about EPA testing like Honda (I think) and have to extend their emission warranties?

Are there known/common problems with the 99 Tac 4 cyl that might relate to backfire, driveability problems (and grinding noises!)?

What is the story about the oxygen sensors? I see references to free replacements from Toyota. In case she needs one. Should I have gone back for one for my 93 PU this summer after 186000 miles? (I bought my own).

Do you really have to plug in a code reader to read codes on a 99? Or can you still short TE1 to E1 and count flashes on the instrument panel?

Thank you.

Reply to
James Andrus