1991 240 wont start

I have a sedan that wont start. It started up then died about a minute later when I tried to give it gas to warm up, just barely touching the pedal. Now it wont start, when I crank it it will try but will not fully catch. Any ideas what may be wrong?

Raven

Lots of things come to mind.

Gas tank empty. Fuel pump relay. Fuse. Crank position sensor. Other ignition related stuff.

Can you hear the fuel pump buzz under the car? Only runs for one second after you release the key, when trying to start it.

Reply to
clay

Unplug the wire from the air mass meter and see if it starts then.

Reply to
James Sweet

And if it does, remove the flexible hose that leads to the throttle body, and look for cracks and splits in it. Very common on the 240s. Otherwise, James is implying that you have a bad air mass meter.

/glenn

Reply to
/g

You need to isolate the fault, obviously, and there is a systematic way to troubleshoot.

First, find out if the problem is electrical or fuel.

I have an inductive timing light, but any timing light will do: hook it up and have someone crank the engine over while you look for the light to repeatedly flash.

If it flashes okay, your problem is fuel related; if not, it is an electrical issue.

Reply to
Mr. V

: >> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net --- : >

: >

: > Unplug the wire from the air mass meter and see if it starts then. : : And if it does, remove the flexible hose that leads to the throttle : body, and look for cracks and splits in it. Very common on the 240s. : Otherwise, James is implying that you have a bad air mass meter. : : /glenn : :

.... Also re the Air Mass Meter, remove the plug, spray the contacts of both the plug and the socket with contact-spray, then push the plug in and out ten times. (This isn't black magic................ I got it from a Volvo dealership tech.) Finally coat both sets of contacts with dielectric grease..

Good Luck. Andy I. (1958 445 "wagon"; 1965 122S wagon; 1967 121 2-dr direct import; 1974 142; 1974 145 wagon; 1986 240 wagon; 1993 240 "Classic" wagon;

1997 850 AWD wagon.)
Reply to
Andy