1992 Volvo 940GL trunk locked

I have a Volvo 940GL (1992 model year). I have recently locked the trunk (horizontal key position so it is not on central locking system). Now the key will not turn in the socket and the trunk is of course locked for good. I found one reference on the net for a similar problem, suggesting that the latch for the trunk lock got stuck. They said the thing to do was to go through the ski hutch and remove plastic panel that covers the latch, then unscrew the latch.

So far, I have made proper length extenders for my screw and socket bits, and I unscrewed all the screws I could see (for on the bottom panel and six on the top panel). Unfortunately, neither panel budges at all when I tug on them.

Can anyone describe in detail how to remove the lock mechanism in the trunk of a 1992 940GL. It would be particularly helpful if you had suggestions for how to do this from the ski hutch point of view.

P.S. I went to one mechanic who said he could do nothing and the other said he was to busy. I need to open the trunk soon so I have no choice but to try on my own. Please do not suggest going to a locksmith or a mechanic.

Reply to
?????