1996 840 cruise control

What tests can I do to determine where my problem with the crusie controls lie?

I follow the procedures laid out in the manual and do not get any sign that I've been able to set the speed.

I.e., get up to 60mph/100KM, shift the switch to ON and then to SET and hold it. WIth my old Ford, I get a throttle, kick to tell me that I've succeeded.

I've also gone through the use of the up-throttle toggle and still have not got a response.

I've checked the fuses and none are broken.

Reply to
bdealhoy

There are 2 common problems with cruise on the 850. One involves the brake pedal switch, hook your foot under the pedal, and pull up on it (the opposite direction to the way you normally push it) as you're trying the cruise. If it now works, remove the kick panel and bend the bracket so the switch is moved closer to the pedal's arm. The other problem lives under the battery where the pump is. The cruise vacuum pump is bolted to the bottom of the battery tray, and acid from the battery can cause problems. If there's a problem in this area, it's usually obvious (split or kinked hose, bare or disconnected wires etc.)

Reply to
Mike F