2001 S60 2.4 Turbo

Is it necessary to allow the engine to idle a few minutes prior to turning off? Sales person said it is not necessary however the maintenance manual recommends that it be done. I tend to believe whats written in a manual over whats is said by a sales person, however I would appreciate any feedback from those having experience with these turbo charged engines.

Brian

Reply to
OlsenSax

It´s only needed to idle, if you have been driving the car with turbopressure until you stop it. If live in a small town, and the end of my ride is always at a slow speed, so i have never let my car idle, and have no turbo problems.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

The most important time to idle the engine for 30seconds to 1 minute or so is if you stop at a motorway service station or similar where the heat soak is considerable.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I have just taken delivery of a new S60R, and, following a trip of about 20 miles today, I took a look under the bonnet and was taken aback by how warm/hot everything was. Even plastic items like air filter box and fuse box were very warm. I know there is not much room in there but it did seem way too hot. The temperature gauge registered on normal and the radiator fan did not cut in. The engine idled for about a minute while I opened the garage doors. I'm keeping the revs to 3000 max as it is only a week old. Is this normal ? Love the car - it's great. Bryan.

Reply to
Bryan Hammond

On a note about running in, the rev limit is wise, however do give the engine plenty of load (without labouring it) and change gear in plenty of time.

Low load running is not good for it- i.e. 3000rpm in 1st gear! Within the first 100 miles I would make sure you give it several bursts of full throttle through the gears upto your rev limit to settle the rings against the bores- this is most important. After about 250miles begin to increase the rev limit, but make sure you hit it regularly.

Tim..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

My father has a 2001 V70 T5, and I'm always amazed at just how hot everything is under the hood - much hotter than my 1998 V70 T5. The new shape cars seem to get very hot under the hood. So far, 3 years, he's had no problems.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for the advice, Tim and Mike, I called in to the dealer today and the Service man said it was normal for things to get quite warm. He did recommend idling for about 45 -60 secs to let the turbo come to rest while oil was still flowing. Regards, Bryan.

Reply to
Bryan Hammond

Hi, Brian - - -

While I have a problem with "knowledgeable" sales persons vs The Book, I do try to strike something of a middle ground.

If driving on the freeway and pulling into a rest stop or for fuel, the wife or I do remain in the car with engine running (no, not at the fuel stops) for the several minutes involved. A lot of our driving is in the Sierras, with many trips from Reno to Sacramento, CA - lots of heat on the return trip when one goes from sea level to over 7,300' in not much over 50 miles.

All of this having been said, we use only full synthetic oils, so have little fear of coking in less stressful conditions.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

98 V70XC 02 S60AWD
Reply to
Bob Noble

volvo turbos run very hot...always have...always will... we cook trout in foil, under the hood...on the way home from fly fishing excursions...the 1993 940t engine compartments warms up to a tosty 375 w/normal driving...down near the turbo and down pipe.......

richard colorado

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I wouldn't baby a new engine too much. After it has been driven gently for an hour or two I would make sure to give it a good amount of 3/4 throttle in the middle of the rev range. Take it up to 75% of maximum revs often. This should be enough to give it a good break-in without over-revving or lugging. Just use your common sense. The worst thing you can do to a new engine is to over-baby it. Extended idling is bad also.

As far as idling to let the turbo cool down, that's only necessary if you have been driving fast/hard right up to until you pull over. As long as you drive easy the last 60 seconds or so before shut down you will be fine. I would also recommend running synthetic oil in a turbo because it has much more resistance to carbon formation at high temperatures. The turbo bushings are lubed by engine oil and this is the part that gets hot. Regular oil can form carbon deposits on the bushing surfaces which can cause them to seize.

Spanky

Reply to
Spanky