2001 V70 Multiple Bulb failures

I have a 2001 V70 Wagon and I am experiencing a high number of bulb failures. I just recently purchased the car (2-3 months back) and have already gone through a set of headlights and 2 rear tail lights. I have owned MANY cars in the past and rarely do I ever have to replace bulbs, and most certainly not this common in just 2-3 months. I have read some past posts about possible electrical problems, or people simply switching to a different type of bulb... I am wondering if any one has come across a specific answer as to why this happens and what I can do to stop it!

Car is awesome if it wasn't for the bulbs going out seemingly every other week.

Sean

Reply to
sblenkhorn

Check the voltage on the battery when the car is running, it might be to high, that is above 14.4 volts. If so you need to have the alternator repaired.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

I have no bulb problems with my '01 V70 XC. Perhaps your voltage regulator is bad. You should have it checked. 14.4 Volts is normal when the engine is running.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

That's what was wrong with mine with the same problem, though intermittant so test it thoroughly. Alternator is the one thing I've had to fix on every car I've owned. Attually had more luck with generators which only seemed to need bearings & brushes.

Reply to
jg

Typical charging voltage when the car is running, all accessories off, is about 13.4 to 13.8 volts. Check for bad grounds on the alternator. Also measure the AC ripple voltage across the battery terminals with the motor running. It should be in the low 100mV range.

Bob

Reply to
User

That is awful low. With no load the battery should be about 13.2 volts. When the engine is running, it should be at 14.4 volts.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

You only get 13.2 volts on a fully charged battery. I think the most common i have measured on cars is around 12.8 volts and it gives you no problems. Charging voltage is maximum 14.4 volts and normally its lower, around

13.6-13.9 volts. All numbers measured at the battery.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

Mine measured about 14.5 volts when I got the electrician onto it and stopped blowing globes.

Reply to
jg