2001 Volvo S40

My daughter owns a 2001 Volvo S40 4 cyl. L4 1.9 liter turbocharged approximately 32,000 miles. The check engine light is on: following codes noted: PO101 Mass Air Flow or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem. I have changed the air filter, checked the MAF sensor so here is my guess: The engine is turbocharged thus increasing the intake volume of air vs. a naturally aspirated engine. At times, the turbo can "overboost" the engine causing the DTC I have recorded. Usually the turbo "wastegate" opens and bleeds the excess air from the system before this can happen, but if the wastegate is hanging up, this might be a likely culprit. Where is this waste gate located on this particular engine and/or what does this wastegate look like? Can anyone help?

Robert

Reply to
Hobbit91

Robert

Not sure if this helps but get some information regarding the turbo from Mitsubishi (who make it) If you can get some diagrams, you can easily see where the wastegate is. The wastegate is adjusted by a screw - may just need an adjustment. Haven't done it on my T4 but know it is a simple procedure...

Good luck - let me know how you go....

Hobbit91 wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

Not likely. If the wastegate is stuck and the turbo is overboosting, a different code is set - (I'm unsure of the number) usually with the "boost pressure regulation" or similar in the description. In either case, the boost will be limited to an lower initial value, so you should notice a lack of power. With your scenario, you should notice lots of extra power, followed by the engine cutting out suddenly as the secondary protection cuts in.

My guess is you have a bad air mass meter or a vacuum leak.

Reply to
Mike F