Just Out Of Curiosity....

If I came out to my car and had a completely flat battery...how would you get the doors unlocked on these newer Volvos where the key doesn't actually unlock the door physically, but through an electrical motor? Or, maybe I should duct tape a brick to the roof rail for just such an eventuality. If I called the Auto Club for a jump, even though the battery is under the floor in the rear, is there a way of popping the hood in an emergency? If you could remove the grille, there could be a way to reach in and move the lever that's on the cable from the inside of the car. I can just see people all over the world shaking their heads in disblief over my obvious lack of having a life and thinking of such things.

No, that's smart. I would fit an external power plug enabling you to trickle charge the battery from outside and provide power to the car electrics.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Surely there's some sort of mechanical linkage present? At least on the driver's door?

Reply to
James Sweet

Jack up the front of the car and attach the positive jumper cable to the main power cable to the starter, which goes directly to the battery. Attach the negative cable to bare metal on the engine or chassis. Connect the other ends to a good battery, unlock the door and open whatever you need to get to the battery. Disconnect cables, lower the car, and connect directly to the battery.

It's not an uncommon problem these days; better to anticipate it and have a plan to deal with it..

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

wrote:

Next to the big fuse and breaker box under the hood there is a little flap with a big (+) sign molded into it. Flipping up that flap reveals the big thick red cable coming from the battery in the rear with a second thick red cable that runs down to the starter. If there was an easy way to open the hood from the outside, then access would be a snap.

Now available at your Volvo Dealer- the Volvo emergency entry kit: 011-122-232-088 - Swedish emergency entry-device fastening tape 011-122-232-089 - Swedish vitrious heat-cured entry device

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

well the car was designed by experts how dare you think of such a simple problem? I had a Ford Fairlane Na and if someone put down the button on ANY door all locked .I have seen a passenger at the airport running late for his plane with his luggage securely locked in the boot after he locked all the doors from the passenger side .THATS BESIDES KIDS BEING LOOKED IN THE CAR ACCIDENTLY ON A HOT DAY .So we had to carry a spare under the car but at least we could open it . Must have been a Ford technician on loan to Volvo designed the system .My brother in law a Ford designer went to drive his family a very long distance in a new van with a badly leaking exhaust at the manifold ,dont think it would have done his new born much good with carbon monoxide in the car .In retrospect shes now a lawyer and extremely right wing so I wonder if I should have intervened .

Reply to
John Robertson