2001 Volvo S60 2.0T - 90k Miles

My S60 is surging/hunting at idle between 700rpm and 1000rpm. It is more pronounced when the a/c is switched on. I'm thinking Mass Flow sensor.

I changed the plugs today with no change in performance.

I have an OBDII reader. There are no faults appearing on the message display on the dashboard.

The car runs just fine, I can pull 6000rpm through the gears no problem.

Any suggestions?

Regards Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

I would start by cleaning the throttle body and if it has one, idle air valve. This stuff tends to get gummed up from oil vapors out of the crankcase vent system, mileage is about right for that.

Air mass meter normally causes much more pronounced problems when it acts up.

Reply to
James Sweet

No, more likely to be the ETM, very very very very common on the early Marelli units. There is a dealer software update and clean which helps, but the unit is on its last legs and will need changing to the much more reliable Bosch ones. This again requires new software in the ecu.

If the idle isnt too bad with the a/c off, but worse with it on, then definately the etm.

Google Volvo ETM.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

It sounds like the ETM is acting up return to your local Volvo dealer & have them perform Recall # 155 ETM Software Upgrade if this was already performed the ETM may be very dirty which is caused by the breather box being clogged partially or totally the dealer will be able to correctly diagnose this for you as for no codes the obd reader will not read the ETM for some reason if the ETM is faulty it is under the 10 Year 200K Extended Warranty but the ETM cleaning is not part of the extended warranty & is the breather box if it is determined that these are the problems almost always it is an internal fault in the throttle unit but Volvo requires that the ETM be cleaned first before replacement G Klein Volvo Certified Technician 2008 ASE Certified Technician 2008

Reply to
GlennK