2001 ZTS problem with engline light

From time to time my engine light keeps lighting up & stays lit for a few days & then goes out. I have no loss of power etc. I was told there a recall or problem with this? maybe a sensor? anyone know what one? Don't want to take to dealer they rip off. I was told its a easy & common fix.

Thnks

Reply to
Mr. Satellite

The next time it happens, you need to get the computer codes read. Any dealer or good diagnostic shop can do a quick scan, and any experienced engine or auto electrical technician can interpret it for you. The chances are it's something minor, such as a loose gas cap.

Reply to
Dave Gower

In message , Dave Gower wrote

Cheap OBD (diagnostic code) reader

The above just plugs into the OBD port. It then reports the error code 4 times. On the 5th read it also clears the engine light but you can disconnect it before then until you fix the fault indicated by the code. (Obviously, if you don't fix the fault the light will come on again)

If you live in the USA it appears that some independent car service outlets may read the code for you for free. You can the look up the reason for the reported code at

Reply to
Alan

In alt.autos.ford.focus Alan :

Interesting, AFAIK there are some docs online how to read those codes an a bunch of other information without leaving the driver seat, using the small LCD speedo display.

Haven't test it out, but can remember failure codes are supposed to be displayed. Sorry, if this feature is missing from the US model.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Try changing gas stations or brands of fuel. If you are using a discount gas station, or supermarket gas station for gas, sometimes you get gasoline with a slightly lower octane than regular and this causes a misfire, which will set the MIL. If the engine does not misfire again the MIL goes out and the code goes away. Another thing to check would be ignition wires or it could also be a bad plug. I had the similar problem with my Focus and it drove the dealer nuts. MIL came on, 2 days later it went out - no code set. I switched to Esso for fuel instead of buying supermarket gas, and the problem has not reappeared yet..

Thnks

Reply to
Henri

The codes that can be read from the trip display are only dashboard codes. You can't read OBDII from there. The sort of information you get is engine temperature, battery voltage, speed in both MPH and KPH and so on.

In order to view this, with the ignition switched off hold down the trip reset button. Whilst keeping the button depressed, start the engine. When the trip display reads "TEST" release the button. The dials will self-test by going to maximum display, then minimum, and will then read normally. You can then repeatedly press the trip reset button to cycle through a whole load of information. Some of this is obvious, some quite obscure.

A Google will reveal what the less obvious codes are.

Every Focus I've ever tried this on shows the code to indicate the fuel gauge sender is faulty....

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You can read out DTC failure code (Number 6 - NONE or DTC failure code), dunno how those are related to the ODBII error codes you mentioned?

;)

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Yep. DTC = Dashboard Trouble Code. They are not directly related to the engine diagnostic codes accessible with an OBDII reader.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan