240/1991 keeps heating

hello, there is always some mild heat comming out of the left and right heater outlet. Altough the command is set "cold". So I guess the valve is not operating properly. Is it easy to replace? Or has the car been built around it like the fan housing? What would be the right procedure to replace the valve?

thanks for the info

Reply to
Bluefox

The valve is located just to the right of the gas pedal, behind the plastic panel. First make sure the cable is adjusted properly, so the valve actually clicks closed in the cool position. With the plastic panel off, move the lever and see what is operating, and in what direction. Loosen the screw pinching the cable, and see if the lever will move more in the 'cool' direction. If that's working OK and you still have heat, you can tighten the screw (sealed with paint) on the end of the valve about a quarter turn try to make the shutoff more positive.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks Mike, What if the valve clicks in cold position? Membrane broken? I have a spare valve wich is OK. I think I'll try replacing it right away. Thanks again!

"Mike F" schreef > >

Reply to
Bluefox

If you can feel the click, then the seal just may be a little compressed. Tightening that screw I mentioned will allow the seal to be compressed a little more.

Reply to
Mike F

Hi Mike,

I seem to have the same problem ( heat on all the time), but am unable to access the heater valve as you describe. On removing the plastic panel, and the knee bolster, I find that the heater valve is buried behind two coolant pipes running transversely (pointing outward, to the left). I can see the control wire moving and the attached arm, but not the cable clamp.

There is no "click" on moving the control to full cold.

An earlier model 240 had access as you describe. It had no Air Conditioner. My present model ('93 240 Classic) has Air Conditioning. Any ideas on how to get at that heater valve?

Thanks. Andy I.

| > Thanks Mike, | > What if the valve clicks in cold position? Membrane broken? | > I have a spare valve wich is OK. I think I'll try replacing it right away. | > Thanks again! | >

| | If you can feel the click, then the seal just may be a little | compressed. Tightening that screw I mentioned will allow the seal to be | compressed a little more. | | -- | Mike F. | Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont. | | NOTE: new address!! | Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly. | (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)

Reply to
brackenburn

Right, 91 was the last year of the old type valve that I described. And

91 was the year of the original poster's car. The new type valve doesn't have the adjustments that I mentioned, and I've never worked on one of them. All you can do is make sure that the cable is connected properly, and the valve freely moves thorough it's whole travel. The new valve also doesn't seem to have as positive of a shutoff.
Reply to
Mike F

Thanks Mike.

Andy I. Brentwood Bay (near Victoria), BC.

| > Hi Mike, | >

| > I seem to have the same problem ( heat on all the time), but am unable to | > access the heater valve as you describe. | > On removing the plastic panel, and the knee bolster, I find that the heater | > valve is buried behind two coolant pipes running transversely (pointing | > outward, to the left). I can see the control wire moving and the attached | > arm, but not the cable clamp. | >

| > There is no "click" on moving the control to full cold. | >

| > An earlier model 240 had access as you describe. It had no Air Conditioner. | > My present model ('93 240 Classic) has Air Conditioning. Any ideas on how | > to get at that heater valve? | >

| > Thanks. | > Andy I. | >

| | Right, 91 was the last year of the old type valve that I described. And | 91 was the year of the original poster's car. The new type valve | doesn't have the adjustments that I mentioned, and I've never worked on | one of them. All you can do is make sure that the cable is connected | properly, and the valve freely moves thorough it's whole travel. The | new valve also doesn't seem to have as positive of a shutoff. | | -- | Mike F. | Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont. | | NOTE: new address!! | Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly. | (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)

Reply to
brackenburn