240 fuel computer?

Hello, I have a question that I'm having a hard time finding information for. My '89 240 has a problem. This started a couple of years ago. Once or twice a month the car would be hard to start when hot. But after a minute or so it would start up and act fine. I had a little more trouble last summer, on a couple of occasions it wouldn't start for a half hour when hot and then spontaneously it would start up and be fine. In the past month three times it has died while driving at highway speed and then started back up shortly after. Also it has refused to start for half an hour or so when hot a couple of times. Now it won't start cold at all. I have jumped the #4 and #6 fuses to get the pump going and that doesn't help. With the ignition on and the engine off the #2 diagnostic socket will not give any code (not even

1-1-1) when the car is refusing to start, but the #6 socket will give 1-1-1. When the car is acting normally both sockets will give a 1-1-1. I suspected the engine fuse or the housing, but this is obviously not the case. I now think the fuel computer may be shot, but don't have any way to prove it. Does anybody have any ideas, or suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

Colin Kenny

Reply to
<kennys

If you're not getting any response from the computer, then either it's dead or not getting power. Start by checking the system fuse in the little holder beside the battery. (Yes, some rocket scientist put the most important fuse in the most corrosion friendly place on the whole car!) Then check the fuel pump relay (which is also the main relay) to make sure it's OK. You can pop the cover off and make sure there's no bad solder connections on the little circuit board inside, or just buy a new one.

Reply to
Mike F