240 heater repairs

_____ Hello all,

Still working on my 1981 240 DL wagon project. Received heater control valve from FCP which states on their web site that this valve "fits all models". It is _very_ different from the original valve as you can see from the photo

The old one has a 90 degree configuration, and a _mechanical_control_ via a cable. The cable attachment is at the top left of the photo. The new valve is a straight-through type with a _vacuum_control_. Can any of you help me design something that will work?I can see two solutions if this is indeed the _only_ valve that is available:

1) The old valve can not be rebuilt. I could reuse the frame from the old valve, remove the vacuum control from the new valve, and try to refit the old mechanical cable adjuster to the new valve. Then i may have to use a copper elbow to get the thing in the car in about the right place.

2) Use the new valve as is, put an elbow in the plumbing, and hunt for a valve that will control the vacuum so that the water valve can be opened and closed in a graduated fashion. Ideally, this valve would be driven by the heater control lever on the heater control panel. As a poor man's alternative, one could hook the thing into one of the vacuum buttons. The default water valve position is _open_ when there is _no_ vacuum, and _closed_ with _vacuum_ applied. If i were to hook it to the recirculation vacuum line, then the heater would work with the recirculation button depressed. The normal heater control lever would become inoperative.

Looking forward to your ideas.

/ John

PS: To email me off line, use c o n t r e x..a t..s h a w..c a

Reply to
jch

I just had a thought. I have gone into auto parts stores and told them I need a part that is NLA from the dealer (it happened to be an air injection control valve). They showed me a book with pictures of lots of available generic valves for lots of diffrent applications. All I hade to do was match teh input and output sizes and locations (angles). See if you can do the same. I bet you could find a generic control valve that is cable operated

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

You have a new valve for a 740, not a 240. While the new type valve for a 240 is similar to the 740 valve in that it's a straight through type, it is cable operated, and the new valve comes in a kit with the hoses and brackets you need to install it. Check out:

90&make=VO&model$0--004&category=R&part=Heater+Valve+KitYou may need to cut and paste or just look up the heater valve for yourcar at
(or any of the multitude of otherinternet parts places)

Reply to
Mike F

90&make=VO&model$0--004&category=R&part=Heater+Valve+Kit> > You may need to cut and paste or just look up the heater valve for your> car at
(or any of the multitude of other> internet parts places) The Scantech plastic valve that is available from Volvo or any of the other aftermarket sources is crap.

I just saw an old timey regular, cable adjustable heat valve on a Daimler sports car the other day and it looked brand new and also very familiar. 1/2" in and out, 90* apart. Probably a British stanpart from the 60's through 80's.

Bob

Reply to
User

What I find about those new valves is that they don't 100% seal off the water. So a little always dribbles through the heater core, which adds some heat. As most of us who ever drove 240s know, that's not the kind of help that 240's A/C needs.

Reply to
Mike F

I can generaly live with a little coolant bleed into the heater core. But the material is so thin at the ends of the plastic simulated pipe that they tend to break just like the valve on a 700/900. Only difference is the hot water runs all over your leg instead of out side in the engine compartment.

Bob

Reply to
User

Why not buy the original Volvo spare part? At least here in Sweden there is no problem buying it at my local Volvo dealer.

/ Johan

Reply to
Johan Plane

The original metal valve is not available, not even from the dealer. You used to be able to source the original part from the aftermarket, even after it wasn't available through the dealers, but that seems to have dried up now. You have to install the "upgrade" plastic part.

Reply to
Mike F

As i have already replied to John directly, the metal gizmo Vo part no

9131997 can be bought of the shelf at my local Volvo dealer for approx USD
  1. With the copper heat sensor probe and wire operated.

Johan Plane Uppsala, Sweden

Reply to
Johan Plane

Very interesting, over here they give you the update kit 9131998, with the new plastic valve.

Reply to
Mike F