240 Power Window failure

Hi all,

I'm trying to diagnose the power window failure in my sister's 1990

240 wagon.

The symptoms:

  1. With little warning all windows have stopped working
  2. Replaced fuses #10 and #12, sanded all contacts
  3. Checked grounding screw under dash (secured)
  4. Voltmeter indicates 0 current across fuse 10 which increases to
+-12v when switch applied
  1. Voltmeter indicates -ve current across fuse 12 which is unchanged when switch applied

My diagnosis was that the relay had failed but don't know how to test the relay. Furthermore I hoped to pull the relay from my 1983 240 Turbo as a temporary fix but am not sure the relays are interchangeable. The relay in my car ('83 240t) looks like this:

http://63.150.115.104/CommerceGateway/pictures/Volvo%20J-Pegs%2F1235893.jpg Is the relay in the wagon necessarily the same? I pulled the centre console off and according to Haynes there are only 4 relays in there:

  1. Overdrive Relay 2. Door Unlock relay 3. Door Lock Relay 4. Power Window Relay. By process of elimination I determined that a grey plastic relay (whose removal did not affect locks or OD) must be the window relay.

All I guess I need to know is are my assumtions correct and am I on the right track? If so I will pull this plastic relay and take it to the dealership for testing/replacement.

Thanks lots, blurp

Reply to
blurp

Hello again,

I have managed to determine that: a) The plastic relay I was muddling with in the 1990 wagon was, in fact, the AC control relay (thanks to FCP Groton for the great pictures) and that the window relay should be the same for all models.

Great.

The remaining question then is, given the voltmeter results I received, is it a reasonable assumtion that the relay has failed? Should the voltage across fuse #12 not change when the switch is employed (as does on fuse #10)?

Or can I start to look for breaks in the wire somewhere?

Thanks a bunch, blurp

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:36:22 -0400, the illustrious blurp favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp