240 Question

Today's mustang isn't based on old technology, first off, '99 up use IRS, the

240 never did. The only thing that has remained over all these years is the name at "similar" RWD layout.

If Volvo made a 240 still, it would be FWD, who wants a live axle vs IRS? Even my old Alfas had DeDion IRS.

Go buy a 1993 240 and don't bother us anymore.

Reply to
Myron Samila

Well... I wasn't even going to mention those bastard children.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Sorry. My 1990 240 had airbags and abs. It also would have been easy to retrofit the doors as there was plenty of open space inside for bars and anything else you want to stiffen them(in reality, they hold up ten times better than the doors on a Dodge Neon).

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

"Duh" indeed. You found one 240 with 140,000 miles on it, and from that you presume that you know the going rate of every 240 in Canada. "Duh." Then you go on to posit that no one would choose a 240 if they could get a different, new kind of Volvo for only twice the price. It's a little like saying, why pay a million dollars for a Da Vinci drawing when, for only two million dollars, you can get something drawn last week? "Duh." Then you use for an example of why Volvo wouldn't bring back a new version of the 240, Volkswagen, which *did* bring back a new version of an older model of their cars. "Duh" all around, dear.

Reply to
PButler111

"Us"? Who do you think you're speaking for? You and the voices in your head? If you're not a fan of 240s, why are you even involved in this thread?

Reply to
PButler111

It's not just the side airbags. Volvo never built a 200 series car with SIPS.

The 240 would be a bad choice to bring back because:

- It gets lousy gas mileage (can you name another 115hp car that uses that much fuel? An 850 *turbo* will get similar gas mileage)

- It doesn't meet current emissions standards (no OBDII/EOBD)

- It doesn't meet current safety standards (no dual airbags, no SIPS, any sort of pedestrian safety standards)

- Lousy electrical system (glass fuses suck for the 13 or so fuses in a modern 240, a modern 850 has about 2-3x that, plus the 240 has relays everywhere).

- Poor soundproofing

- It's expensive to build.

I'd say bring back the 95-98 960 and/or late model 760, but offer it with the turbo 4, NA 5, and turbo six white block motors.. and ditch the sliding piston front calipers. The late model 960 has all the amenities of a modern car (nice rear suspension, nicer soundproofing, airbags, better side impact protection, better HVAC, etc). The electrical system is a lot more sane (blade type fuses, relay block, etc).

-- alex

'89 765T, 172,7xx mi

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Sorry. SIPS is not about building stronger doors. There were reinforcements to the B pillar and the floor pan that could not have been retrofitted to a 240.

ABS was standard on all Volvos after 92, and I think all 240s after 90 had driver's side airbags.

-- alex

'89 765T, 172,7xx mi

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Don't know too much about the mustang, but I have heard the frame is dating

25 years old... But they've updated it and changed engines, suspensions and whatnot... The 40 series Volvo's are the 240 of today I suppose.

I believe the 850 was suppose to replace the 240/740, they seem to be good cars too, especially the 96's.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Could you possibly try to be more obnoxious?

If you're going to ask someone's opinion, don't attack them for giving it to you.

- alex

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Right. But a $20,000 car back in the 80s would not be a $20,000 car now. Try $40,000 or $50,0000.

-- alex

'89 765T, 172,7xx mi

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Reply to
Rob Guenther

And you're saying that none of these issues could be addressed in a new 240?

By the way, how good do you think the mileage is in those ginormous SUVs currently lumbering like dinosaurs all over the country's freeways?

Reply to
PButler111

I'll be obnoxious as I like if the opinion they offer has nothing whatever to do with the question asked.

Reply to
PButler111

Sorry, I thought I made it clear that I was a 240 fan.

Reply to
PButler111

Ipso facto, the same would have to be true of a new 240?

Reply to
PButler111

and dude, I said 140,000kms, not miles, you should read MY post a little bit better.

Sure, and it would have been a FWD too.

Reply to
Myron Samila

People like them now because they are inexpensive, durable, and (for wagons) very good work wagons. A new one would not fulfill the "inexpensive" part of the equation -- few would be willing to pay new prices (1993 new price was around $19000, which was considerably more than typical cars like Accords, Camrys, etc.) for a 1970s design.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

SUVs are the hottest thing selling, that is why Volvo now makes one.

You know why Volvo stopped making this car? Cuz it was obsolete in the market, THE MARKET dictates what manufacturers will eventually make.

Say, you know what car company still makes a body style that everyone was DICTATED to love and drive? The Russian built Lada 1600. It started life as a Fiat 124, and continued on as a Lada, dah Comrad!

Reply to
Myron Samila

That makes no sense, today's safety standards are way lower then they used to be. You run a '75 LTD into a '95 Metro guess who dies? The cafe standards imposed by the government have made today's cars smaller, lighter and much, much more dangerous.

Reply to
Marshall Earp

My 245 is the best milage car I have.

(can you name another 115hp car that uses that

Thank GOD!!!

Safer than a Sprint.

I'll give you that, but all Volvo's electrical systems have sucked, do suck, and will suck.

Never noticed that.

Anything good is.

Reply to
Marshall Earp