240 wheel track?

Chatting with someone who "knows" about Volvos the other day, and he said that one of the reasons for the poor handling of the 200 series was because the rear track is narrower than the front. The implication being that one way to improve the handling is to fit wheel spacers at the rear.

Now over the last couple of months I've done a LOT of web research into improving the handling of my 240, in fact I'm typing this with dirty fingers from being half way through the twin anti roll bar mod. But no where in what I've seen did anybody mention increasing the rear track.

So, is this something everybody else has missed, or is it too difficult, or is it just not true?!!?

Reply to
Clive

Volvo even had a kit to do this, but it was not available in North America. Basically if the car oversteers, (rear end loses grip first) increasing the rear track will help. If it understeers (as 240s do), then this mod will not help. Incresing the track definately helps the look of the rear of the car though. If you're doing a bunch of suspension mods, then this may be a necessary step in the process.

Reply to
mikef2316()

How much is the difference in track and why did they do this? A lot can be done to improve the understeer with good swaybars.

Reply to
James Sweet

Some mount an (extra) 740 stabalizer on the 240's rear axle. Install new shockbreakers (front+rear) really worked for my 1981 240GL.

Reply to
Martijn

The spacers were 1" thick, so 2" was added to the rear track. This kit included spacers that centered themselves on the hub like a wheel and also had a "hub" that center the wheel on it, with longer wheel studs. I think the main reason was visual, 240s look a little better with the rear wheels pushed out a bit. If you've ever followed a 240 on the road, you can see the difference in track front to rear. Also, since you're normally off to one side when you're behind it appears the 240 isn't tracking straight.

Reply to
Mike F

I have these on my car.

mike