240 Worth It? Opinions Wanted!

I'd jump on it personally, nice late model 240's don't grow on trees.

Reply to
James Sweet

Why? I know plenty of people who've bought cars off ebay, it's great, no haggling, prices are usually pretty good, and as a seller it's a convenient way to not have to deal with the same issues.

Reply to
James Sweet

Also it's $2250, even if the car is a total turd it's not exactly a huge sum of money, it's less than an inexpensive brand new car would drop in value the moment you drive it off the lot and it could be a turd too.

Reply to
James Sweet

Use a Volvo water pump, the aftermarket ones are all over the place on quality, you should get around 80k miles out of an original.

I'll believe in my Volvo instead, thanks.

Reply to
James Sweet

\

And it's not too difficult to make it blow cold for a few years either, if it works at all then the system is complete.

Reply to
James Sweet

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can get a '93 240 with a stick in the US, you can make one easily enough though.

Reply to
James Sweet

quality, you should get around 80k miles out of an original.

I always change my water pump with my timing belt.

Reply to
R51reed

Hi James,

Don't know about the US, but you CAN get a '93 240 with a stick in Canada......... mine; but it's not for sale.....

Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

It's almost September; I live in Chicago. If it blows cold for just a few weeks, I'll be all set until next year!

Reply to
PButler111

Of course you can! There are several on eBay right at this moment (though not with black leather -- I looked!).

Reply to
PButler111

they are sweet cars....a buddie of mine is taking a front end wrecked

240 wagon and turning it into a trailer, using the rear axel...he swears it will go a million miles as a working trailer, he is going to torch just aft of the rear door, keeping all the glass and id lights for the "new trailer"...it should look cool to volvo owners driving up behine, and passing, ea?

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

eBay can be okay. I'd worry about Massachussetts though. I'm quite spoiled, here in Arizona. There is no reason at all to even look at a car that has *any* rust. Massachussetts though, I'd definitely expect rust. Still, I think you probably got a good deal, if everything is as it is supposed to be. Good luck!

Reply to
james of tucson

Okay, I have just gone through a Tucson summer with an on-again off-again air conditioner.

Except for this problem, my 1991 740 is wonderful. But no A/C in Tucson can be a life-threatening situation.

Sometimes the A/C works. Sometimes it doesn't. You get in the car, start it up, turn on the air, and it works until you stop. Then when you start up again, it's off. Sometimes.

Sometimes, when it is off, you can finesse it into coming on, by either repeatedly pushing the switch, or else by turning the heat control knob.

When it works, it works well. The system has no leaks. The compressor is good. It's charged up.

What now?

Reply to
james of tucson

Hopefully no rust. All the 240s I've had so far have been from the east coast, and only one had any rust (which I knew about going in). I'll let you know when I get it back Monday and my mechanic does his inspection. Should be a long weekend -- driving from Chicago to Cleveland tonight, Cleveland to Boston tomorrow, then a straight shot from Boston back to Chicago Sunday so I can be at work Monday morning. Oy! If nothing else, though, after 15 hours on the road with the new car, I should know it pretty well by the time I hit Chicago!

Reply to
PButler111

Move to Minnesota.

Reply to
PButler111

| >On 2004-08-26, PButler111 wrote: | >

| >> Why? I've purchased several cars though eBay without problem. | >

| >eBay can be okay. I'd worry about Massachussetts though. I'm quite | >spoiled, here in Arizona. There is no reason at all to even look at a | >car that has *any* rust. Massachussetts though, I'd definitely expect | >rust. Still, I think you probably got a good deal, if everything is as | >it is supposed to be. Good luck! | | Hopefully no rust. All the 240s I've had so far have been from the east coast, | and only one had any rust (which I knew about going in). I'll let you know | when I get it back Monday and my mechanic does his inspection. Should be a | long weekend -- driving from Chicago to Cleveland tonight, Cleveland to Boston | tomorrow, then a straight shot from Boston back to Chicago Sunday so I can be | at work Monday morning. Oy! If nothing else, though, after 15 hours on the | road with the new car, I should know it pretty well by the time I hit Chicago!

Do let us know if you make it.

LH

Reply to
Larry_Horse

I guess that would be the only way I could let you know, as if I don't make it I'll only be able to haunt you.

Reply to
PButler111

Well if nothing else it'll be a unique trailer, not sure if I'd classify it as "cool" but interesting perhaps.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hmm, I must be thinking of the 700/900 series, I know they stopped offering it on the 740 at some point and never offered a stick in the 940 here.

Reply to
James Sweet

Start with the obvious, check the fuse and the switch, then go from there. Oh, check the pressostat on the reciever/dryer too, it should test short circuit assuming the charge is good, fairly common failure, standard GM part that's easy to get too.

Reply to
James Sweet