drowned remote

Help! Volvo 850 GLT Estate locked with remote control. Alarm and imobilesr switched on. Remote control has an accidental swim in seawater and, not surprisingly, no longer works. Question: How to get the car going again? (The local Volvo garage is closed until Monday).

Reply to
Donald Wright

Help! Volvo 850 GLT Estate locked with remote control. Alarm and imobilesr switched on. Remote control has an accidental swim in seawater and, not surprisingly, no longer works. Question: How to get the car going again? (The local Volvo garage is closed until Monday).

Donald

Reply to
Donald Wright

Open the remote , remove the battery, rinse with clear water and dry it with fresh air, (no hair blower around), when dry , put a new battery and try it. Good luck Pierre

Donald Wright a écrit:

Reply to
Pierre

Key doesn't disarm the alarm or immobiliser on these models. Worth trying what Pierre says. Electronic circuits are usually pretty rugged when it comes to a quick splash. Well, they are in low-current devices! Drying out water quickly prevents corrosion. Battery connections do corrode quickly though, so worth cleaning them with cotton-bud or wire-wool before inserting new battery. I guess it's Monday now, so all is sorted?

Reply to
Joe landy

Merci beaucoup Pierre, mais je suis desolé - il ne marche pas.

How's my French these days - does it still work?

Anyway, the answer is use the key to open the door. Get in, close the door with the alarm sounding, put the key in the ignition switch BUT DO NOT TURN IT ON. Wait until the alarm goes off (30 seconds or so) then immediately switch on and start the car. Hey presto it goes...All the way to the Volvo garage who gently releive me of £51.00 (UK pounds) and give me a new remote. Ouch that stung. Confucious say: Don't take your car keys in the boat.

Donald

Reply to
Donald Wright

Sorry it didn't work,.. your french is very good. Thanks for sharing the solution with us.

Pierre

Donald Wright a écrit:

Reply to
Pierre

Sailors face this with their electronics when at sea. Take the device and open or disassemble as far as possible. If it has an LCD readout or similar it has to be removed (like on a PDA). Remove battery. Soak in distilled water, changing the water repeatedly. Drain as much as possible then place in gas oven with pilot light but do not turn the oven on. The warm dry air will dry out the remaining moisture. Then say a prayer and reassemble and replace the battery. I have heard of laptop computers being saved this way. from Randy & Valerie __ __ \ \ / / \ \/ / \__/olvo 1993 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.