speedometer problem

I have a 2003 Yukon and the speedometer has a life of its own. It likes to stay pinned all the way to the right. Is this a DIY fix or do I have to take it in?

tia

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Bad stepper motor. IF you know how to solder and can pay attention to the details it is DIY. I do about 6 a month. You can get the new stepper motors from a LOT of places. Ebay always has them.

You want part number X25 168 Plenty of spots online that tell you the process.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks Steve, I also found a site that has detailed info on how to do it. Thanks again.

Steve W. wrote:

Reply to
Eddie

The cluster has an extended 7 year / 70,0000 mile warranty on all GMC / Chev '03/'04 Truck/SUV models. Most dealers will swap it for a new one even past the 70,000. Go there first. They will replace entire cluster, not just one stepper motor.

Reply to
Augustus

Thanks Augustus for that info. I called the dealer where I bought it, they looked it up and its covered by GM, up to 70,000 miles.

Eddie

Augustus wrote:

Reply to
Eddie

Aaugh! So my replacement cluster I just spent $500 to replace still had another week left on the 7 yr warranty! I should have checked with the dealer instead of service shop closest to my house. Too late now.

Marv

Reply to
MTV