7 seater dilemma

Hello

Due to an expanding family, I really need a 7 seater.

I am wondering just how safe the extra seats in, say, a 960 are, in comparison to other 7 seater vehicles.

I note from the info at the dealers that the seats are meant for occasional use and there are weight limits for the occupants.

I also occasionally tow a trailer so whatever I end up choosing would need to be capable in this area. Like my current 240, I would expect long life and durability.

So, I have been looking at 960's and some of the offerings from landrover.

Comments welcome.

Reply to
Keith Barrett
1993 960 wagon here, 10 years under my families control (bought her new) 145K Kms on the odo, so she's just broken in. Nothing has gone wrong with the engine, just normal maintenance, like fluid changes. We have done brake pads once, steering rack, one brake caliper, new oil pan (thread was stripped)... that's about it.

Tows our 2000lb trailer far easier then the old 740 8 Valve and 16 Valve could.

Both my parents and I agree this is the best car our family has ever had. That includes 1 - 100 series, 2 -200 series, 2 - 700 series, 4 VW Golfs (85,

91, 99.5, 03), an Audi 50, and one compact domestic car. I'm currently driving the 2nd best tho, the fully loaded 1999.5 Golf TDI, it's got almost everything the Volvo has... so I don't mind.

As far as durability goes, the 960 is a tank. It's been driven over quite a few pieces of banked curb (my mom drives over the rounded kind instead of going around when she sees them in parking lots), mostly headfirst, one time

45° sideways, into a solid curb when I was 16.... I don't speak much of that... No damage to anything tho, just sailed right over. It's driven over a small log being used as a speedbump, while towing the trailer at 40kph in a camping groud... again, no damage. It's been for a wheel alignment something like twice, and it tracks straight. My dad takes the thing into pretty deep woods when he goes canoeing.... Places most SUVs don't see, the Volvo was able to plow thru, to the amazement of quite a few SUV drivers, tow chains at the ready :-). It will go like hell on the highway, and it will almost beg for more... Great car.
Reply to
Rob Guenther

"Keith Barrett" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet.plus.net...

From the XC90 brochure: THIRD-ROW SAFETY These seats feature three-point seat belts with pre-tensioners, head restraints, and inflatable side curtain protection. Generous space behind the third row helps dissipate collision forces. Seats are just above the rear axle, the best position for side-impact safety. The XC90 is currently the only SUV to include all of these features for third-row passengers. /per

Reply to
per

Just buy the kit from the dealer, it comes complete with two inertia reel seat belts. Or find someone who will sell you a complete kit secondhand.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

The rear facing auxiliary seats in a Volvo wagon / estate is intended for child use only. This is the information from my genuine Volvo accessories brochure -

Max. Weight per child : 40kg (total max. weight 2 x 40kg) Max. height per child : 150cm

In addition, if you have a full size spare, you will need to replace it with a "mini-spare" to accommodate the auxiliary seats. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

Yeah the rear facing seat in the cargo compartment is made for occasional use, weight limit IIRC is 65 lbs per occupant.

Reply to
James Sweet

I often used these seats myself (my parents had a 240 with the extra seats when I was growing up....) - they're great, but only good for child use. Probably until about 10 years old or so... they're also not as comfortable so wouldn't be as good for long journeys. Great for occasional use but if it's for every day, might be worth checking out the competition (have heard good things about the Toyota Picnic, but no experience myself).

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

Sorry William but my 760 GLE estate with seven seats has a full size spare under the seat (195/65/15 on 20-spoke alloy wheel). Seat disappears OK when stowed.

Cheers, Peter.

: > Due to an expanding family, I really need a 7 seater. : >

: > I am wondering just how safe the extra seats in, say, a 960 are, in : > comparison to other 7 seater vehicles. : >

: > I note from the info at the dealers that the seats are meant for : > occasional use and there are weight limits for the occupants. : >

: > I also occasionally tow a trailer so whatever I end up choosing would : > need to be capable in this area. Like my current 240, I would expect : > long life and durability. : >

: > So, I have been looking at 960's and some of the offerings from : > landrover. : >

: > Comments welcome. : >

: :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Hmm... well I admit I don't have any personal experience with the auxiliary seats, as I have a sedan and don't have any children. I was simply typing out what's printed in my brochure. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

If you want to put the most precious cargo you have into a 3 sided glass box facing backwards, go ahead. Yes, Volvo's are a good strong frame, but think about it; ANY hit in the rear area will shower glass upon the rear-most occupants. God forbid anything bad should happen, but if it does, and you put the little ones in the back like that...how would you feel? I took my 3rd seat out and sold it on eBay...good riddance.

RS

"Mark Seeley" wrote

Reply to
Rusty

Keep the Volvo and get a full-size SUV (Expedition, Suburban, etc) for use when you need the extra space and a different set of capabilities. We have been doing that for years and it works out well for us - but not necessarily for everyone. The Volvo is a great car for "normal service", the SUV can pull a large camper, go 4x4-ing for surf fishing or traversing mountain trails.

Reply to
Greg Cearley

We were stationary at traffic lights when a brand new Vauxhall Astra went into the back of us at a fair speed... enough to launch our 240 over a foot forward (even with the footbrake on). The Astra was a young estate agent in a new job late for work - his car was written off with severe damage to the front half of the car. Noone was hurt in either car, but the damage to ours was a small amount of blue paint on our bumper. No suspension damage, no glass broken, it was really quite something. As a child I'd be pretty happy safety-wise in the back of a 2/7/9 series volvo. I honestly believe volvo haven't compromised on safety. Comfort is another matter though.

So why not throw away the seats if you think them unsafe? Surely you're just putting someone else's children at risk? Just a thought. Honestly, I do see where you're coming from, and when it comes down to it each person has to go with their instincts, but personally I've found them to be pretty good for occasional use. Still not something I'd use every day, but definitely once in a while.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

I've seen some 200/700 series wagons that were hit pretty hard in the back in junkyards, the rear window occasionally breaks, but I have yet to see one where the side windows break. Usually the bumper pushes in a bit and buckles the floor pan but the carpeted wood floor in the cargo area usually doesn't deform at all. I saw one where the rear pillars deformed enough to pop the glass partially out of the opening but it still was intact. Also when the glass does break it shatters into little rounded pebbles, I wouldn't hesitate to ride in the rear facing seat if I was small enough to fit. I remember it used to make me carsick though.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Mrs. Fricker