7 Seater of Choice - Ford S-Max?

Young kid carrying and reliable 7 seater utility wagon, about £13k for a

3 year old diesel - Ford S-Max pick of bunch?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Also consider a Toyota Verso.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Out of interest, why?

Reply to
AC

both are 7 seat, but the Toyota is externally smaller and easier to fit into places.

Toyotas are fantastically reliable and generally well built. Toyota are the largest manufacturer of diesel engines in the world (I believe) and they work very well and very quietly.

Toyota will have far fewer faults over its lifespan and usually will only require normal service parts year after year.

Toyota Verso is safest MPV 2010 according to ncap.

Look on Honest Johns site for what is bad on each model, the Ford page goes on and on, the Toyota has only one item and that is about the supposed sticking throttle problem. Which on a secondhand one will have been recalled.

Ford has the self releasing handbrake fault which can cause minor crashes. Ford dual mass flywheels fail.

Generally bits fail on Fords.

I expect that the Ford is more 'exciting' to drive, but is that a good thing to be looking for in an MPV ?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks for that. Appreciated. Looking them up now!!!

Reply to
AC

I have an 08 VW Touran which I love and has been faultless over 3 years/80,000 miles. Although I realise they are an acquired taste, I wanted a small 7 seater with automatic gearbox and diesel engine so choice was somewhat limited.

Before I chose I borrowed a Zafira 1.9CDTi 150 for a week and found the engine noisy and thirsty with the autobox. The palaver to get the third row of seats up with child seats in the middle row is unbelievable. It's not improved since we had a 2001 Zafira from new! Residual values were also poor.

I also borrowed an S-Max TDCi for a weekend which handled well but I was surprised at how wide it was, especially when reversing it into the garage. I had to fold both door mirrors in to get it through the gap, and it's not a small garage!

Would have considered the Toyota if it had an autobox/diesel option at that time.

Reply to
Doctor D

You may also want to consider a 7 seater SUV such as the Hyundai Santa Fe (5 year warranty) or Kia Sorrento (7 year warranty)

Regards, Ian

Reply to
Ian

I wonder how is the forward visibility in a Ford S-Max; it has this slanted window panel at the front in common with many MPV, but it's extreme in the S-Max. Looks like it may block a lot of view?

Reply to
johannes