740 16v vs. Turbo

Hello Everyone,

I have a good friend that I have managed to talk into a Volvo, and he is currently up in the air between a 744 16v and 744 Turbo as the sedan to look for (ideally with a manual transmission). He likes the numbers from both engines -- the low down brute of the Turbo and the high rev power of the

16v -- but is not sure of any more differences between the two. Can anyone shed any light on the pros and cons of these two engines? I'm a big D24T fan, so I can attest to no knowledge of those non-smoking fours ;)

Thanks in advance! Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak
744 16 valve has 155 bhp 744 Turbo (2.3) has 165 bhp. The 16 valver has good top end and reasonable torque throughout its rev range, The turbo is higher up the revs delivering power but has less low-down torque than the 16 valver. With 16 valver the cambelt needs to be changed WITH the balance shaft drive belt, no balance shaft on Turbo.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

The turbo has way more torque than the 16 valve, as long as you're above

1500 so the turbo can build some boost. This is especially true with the smaller turbos introduced on the 1990 models. With the turbos, you just need to wait a fraction of a second for the power, to give the turbo time to spool up.
Reply to
Mike F

Why? It's a great motor, you just have to make sure you change the timing belt on time. Combine the 16v head with a turbo and you can get some incredible power.

Reply to
James Sweet

Sounds like your advice then! Pity words don't stop ships. On what do you base your seeming wisdom? Have you owned one? Do you know that it has almost the same power as the 8-valve turbo? The engine should feel smoother as it uses balance shafts. Anyway I doubt you could pick up a moped engine let alone a real man's machine.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes