is it a turbo

Happy owner of a 1996 4 door saab 9000 CD 2.3 ecopower auto.... But whenever I try to get insurance ... or go to a Parts supplier (eg exhaust)... they have trouble matching my model... Insurance company said "there's no such model"... she could match it as a CDE but not CD... (and they insurance CDE's differently) or they say "is it the turbo"... I say well its an LPT ... they say again "is it the turbo"... ... or they say "is it injected" ... I say "they all are aren't they?" I'm beginning to doubt what I've got... I don't want to say turbo to the insurance co if that unnecessarily sticks the premium up... nor do I want to get the wrong parts .... Any advice on what I've got?...

Reply to
Andrew

Then try another insurance co. It often amazes me that people who are in a business don't know what they're dealing with. Motor insurance people are in business of insuring motor vehicle, hence they should have lists of all possible makes and models. Saab Ecopower was a well known engine range, in fact I told them that my 1993 LPT was the same as Ecopower, and they accepted although this label started from 1994 MY.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Well, is it a turbo? Look goddamit! Does it have a turbo attached to the engine or not?

If it has, the next thing to determine is whether it's a LPT or FPT. If it's a LPT, it probably doesn't have a turbo gauge, and definitely won't have an APC solenoid.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks .... Is there a brief / laymans comparison of the differences between turbo, lpt, ecopower and injection on Saab engines... Also how can I easily find out definately which I have... assuming the logbook might not be correct? (description truncated...) I remember there was a code on the car somewhere ... but I've misplaced my handbook?

thanks Andrew

Johannes H Andersen wrote:

Reply to
Andrew

As grunf said, look under the bonnet on the exhaust side of the engine. Next look if it has a turbo gauge. CSE/CDE models without turbo were very rare, but I was once shown one by a salesman.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Here are the specs for the US 1996 9000 Saab. It looks like the US CS/CSE is the same as the Euro CD/CDE.

that case, you've got the LPT turbo. The CDE has the full turbo.You've got fuel injection.The LPT = Light Pressure Turbo. It's always on, sort of like variable powersteering.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

Try this VIN decoder:

murphwiz

I disagree, I have a 2.0 lpt and it does have an APC solenoid.

Reply to
David Taylor

At least, i think it's an APC solenoid on the radiator

David Taylor

What do you mean by always on? Aren't all turbos always on?! The lpt behaviour is to build boost accordingly though not as high as the full pressure turbo. Saying almost on implies to me that it's always boosting to 0.4bar (or thereabouts) and that's not the case.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Not much help. My car came up with the following:

Specification for Saab 9000 VIN: **************** Model year 1993 Model series "D" Body style 5-door CS Engine Unknown engine type for model year Transmission 5-speed manual Built at Trollhattan line A

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

That is an APC solenoid, but I'll have to take your word on your car being an LPT - never seen an LPT with APC.

Reply to
Grunff

I think what Laura was saying is that with an LPT the boost pressure isn't modulated. It tops out at ~.4 bar regardless. With a FPT the boost pressure is modulated; it tops out at a pressure which depends on a whole number of variables (air temp, air pressure, fuel type etc.).

Reply to
Grunff

Which part is the APC solenoid? Or perhaps: Where should I look?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Been there done that ... saab themselves said to me: LPT is a turbo! So for insurance purposes if your car is LPT or Ecopower you have a turbo ... your next problem is to differentiate yours from the full turbo model so your premium does not go higher.

My trick if they can't located my car is to ask them to tell me what models they see for my year + engine etc.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles Christacopoulos

Look at the point where the radiator top hose attaches to the radiator. A couple of inches to the left of that? I assume that thing with hoses going down towards the turbo is the APC solenoid because that's where it is on my 9k.

Reply to
Grunff

My 9k is an lpt and looks exactly as the posted picture. BTW I can just imagine thousands of lpt owners looking under the bonnet :-)

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Ok, so looks like the lpt has APC - can't think why!

That means the only sensible way to tell whether it's a LPT or FPT is to hook a pressure gauge to one of the vac hoses, attach the gauge to the dash and take it for a spin.

Reply to
Grunff

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Grunff at snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com wrote on

12/06/2004 19:51:

My mate's 1994 9000 CSE has one of those solenoids. His boosts to around half a bar, so it's definitely an LPT. His is a 2.0L model. The 2.3L models were certainly FPT., but were the 2.0L all considered LPT on the face-lift

9000s?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

When you go to a parts store, you have a turbo. This affects the stuff they are looking at.

For an insurance company, get what you can get. Let them know it is not a "Turbo" model, there is no turbo gage after all. Those were the CDE/CSE and Aero as we all know. Tell them it is a base model 9k 4dr for

1996 and see if that is any better.

As for non turbo CS/CSE that was 93 and 94 only as far as I know. 95-97 CS are all LPT and CSE are all 200 HP FPT.

KeithG

Andrew wrote:

Reply to
KeithG