why the made 405 Turbo 16 ?

Why Peugeot made 405 Turbo 16 if they already had great 205 T16? And for what, only for Paris-Dakar rally?

Reply to
el Generale

Hi,

I'll try to make it simple. There's no point between these cars. The 205 T16 was designed for rallying, the Série 200 (200 road vehicles) was made because of the FIA's B-group rules. 1984 was not only the Apple Macintosh's year :-)

The 405 T16 which ran the Paris-Dakar (and some other rallye-raids) did it between 1988 and 1991 (I may be a bit wrong about the dates), after that it was a ZX Grand Raid (because Peugeot wasn't unable to run the rally once again - and after 3 or 4 victories for Citroën the rules changed once again and Citroën was unable to run. Anyway the ZX was just the 405 with a new bodykit). I won't develop here what I think about this policy and what it brought.

Then, around 1995 (also late 405s) Pug decided to release a "super-Mi16",

4WD, turbocharged. It was the T16, with its 220HP and 250KPH max speed, what we use to call here the "road version".

And in conclusion, no the 405 was not only for the Paris-Dakar (although it was the most popular rally-raid here, in France), it also ran the rally-raid world cup, IIRC. And, not the least thing, the Pikes Peak hillclimb race. A specific 405 was developped for that (Garett custom-made turbocharger, air-air intercooler also watercooled, 1905cc 680HP, 4 wheel drive, all steering wheels. Won two times, in 1988 and 1989, race record in 1988 with Ari Vatanen as pilot (Ari if you ever read these lines, I guess you were a bit mad when driving, but damn that was so good !).

Peugeot made a video about that, which had many prizes, I guess you could find this on P2P networks. I don't know any sites which offers download (I remember having downloaded the 65MB video through a low-speed access). Its title was "Climb Dance".

I hope it's easy to understand and I also hope I answered your request.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Mr Peugeot had this huge box of spare bits left over, so one day he summoned his trusty engineers and said, "Hey lads," (I'm translating from the French here obviously) "Why don't we build this 405 Turbo? Look I've got a spinny round thing here and a bit of exhaust pipe. Why don't we attach them to the wife's car whilst she's out at the shops?"

And so the 405 turbo was born.

HTH

Reply to
Malc

Hi

Which 405 T16 are we talking about then?

The 2 door works rally version or the 4 door road going saloon version that Peugeot sold in 1992 - 1993?

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

How should I know, I made it all up on the spur of the moment.

By the way it helps if you include a bit of the text you're replying to so as to get a bit of context.

Reply to
Malc

Heres a link that explains a little about the 205 & 405 Turbo 16 rally cars & why Peugeot built the 405 Turbo 16.

Lee Power via CarKB.com

There aren't much but thanks.

Reply to
el Generale

Thanks

Reply to
el Generale

especially the part where Jan de Rooij took him over in a ...home brewed DAF truck :-) i bet Ari did not believe what was comming up on him but hey those where the day's

wonderfull video of the pikes peak climb!!! one could find it on some sites

Reply to
Marc

Hi,

I forgot to mention, considering the Turbo16 rallycar, it was made to help the release of the 405 "road version". I have a little story of that, took from Ari Vatanen's book : Pug boys were not convinced about the 405T16 reliability, and said to Ari it may not be the good choice to drive it for the Dakar. As Ari was the lead pilot of what still was the PTS (Peugeot Talbot Sport, now Peugeot Sport), he went to a test drive in Niger to develop the 405T16. When getting out of the plane, he saw a 405 (road version), and a guy explained him it was the first 405 bought in the country, and was owned by one of the richest men of the Niger, which before only drove Mercedes. And Ari concluded "it convinced me on driving the 405 for the next Paris-Dakar". Later in this test drive, full revving on 6th gear he made a 53m (about

165ft) long jump in the sand, and wrote "these are diseases you never get cured".

Cheers, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi,

Yeah, that's in Ari's book. Well, De Rooij was an old desert fox, really used to this kind of races. Errr, he was driving a DAF truck, true, IIRC it was one of the wonderful Turbotwin (and IIRC, one of them crashed @ extremely high speeds during a Dakar).

I've got no idea, I donwnloaded it on a site which is closed now. Pffff,

65MB with a 33.6kbps access isn't great fun :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Came across this site which, apparently, has the video for download

Keith Willcocks

The daf T twain had some brute 1500BHP engines in it cant remember if he crashed it but he sure did in the last two dakars

his son keeled over forward in 2004 doing 150... jumped of the whole damn cabin

drivin of to Morvan in a few hours, make my own Dakar :-)

Grrzz

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Hi,

Yeah these were really true race trucks (the Perlinis of the Duc team weren't that bad, too).

Ouch... Not better than the Citroën support truck which exploded over a mine around 1996.

Eh eh... Have a happy motoring ! Enjoy it, you're sarkophages free :-)